Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad News.

Forum Member

Sad News.

Hi all!

I am Sheila's son Mark and I'm afraid I have very sad news to share...

Unfortunately, Sheila died yesterday evening 6pm at Weston General hospital. Last Thursday, mum contacted a chest infection. Me and dad took her in and over the following days, sadly
    developed pneumonia. By Wednesday she slightly went downhill so had to wear a huge oxygen mask to help clear her lungs (one of which partially collapsed). The mask was massive and imposing and, even though it was helping control her oxygen levels she absolutely hated wearing it.
    The next day, she refused to wear the mask! And because of that, went downhill pretty quick. And sadly, last night passed away peacefully and painless. Aged 62. Surrounded by family and friends.

Mum has always struggled with being diagnosed with this cruel, humiliating disease that she simply had enough of it. There was no point in fighting on! It's a no win.

I do have a sense of pride and respect for mum in that, she decided to end it. That was extremely brave (I couldn't do it) but death was mum's only way of escaping it and if that was what she wanted, then me and dad have nothing but utmost admiration for her.

We are going to miss her something chronic!! I admit, I have always been a mummy's boy and we always use to chat and banter about football and music. She wasn't just a mum but a mate too!

She appreciated all your advice and help on here. I know she's made a few friends on this helpful forum. Me and dad have witnessed the hell of this horrendous disease on a daily basis and we have nothing but enormous respect and love for you all.

Keep up the fight and let's get a cure to eradicate this disease as soon as possible.

Much love and from behalf of my mum, thank you all xxx.

Mark

Oh my days, Mark, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to post this sad news.

I had missed Sheila on the Forum - we often messaged each other - and was going to message her today.

Your mum was indeed a brave lady and had a heart of gold, I know she'll be missed on the Forum.

I am so glad you were a Mummy's Boy, Mark - you sound like you've a lovely gentle soul, just like your mum.

Wishing you much strength and courage over the next few months.

RIP Lovely Sheila.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Oh Mark, this is such sad news. Thank you for taking the time to tell us and explain the circumstances. I struggle with my diagnosis too a lot of the time and can completely understand her actions but it must be so much harder for you, you obviously have a huge heart - just like your mum. Sending you and your family love and strength at this sad, sad time.

Sarah xx

Very sad news, please accept my condolences on your loss. Your love and respect for your mother shine through every word of your post and I am sure she was hugely proud of you.

Forum Member
    Oh no Mark, this is such sad news.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your mum was a lovely brave lady and I am sure she was a wonderful wife and mother. You are a son to be proud of and I hope in time you will find comfort in your happier memories.

Thank you Mark for letting us know and I wish you and your Dad strength in the months ahead.

Love Debbie x

Forum Member
    Thank you all so much for your condolences! I have passed them on to dad. We are going to miss mum terribly but it was mum who had to live with this not me nor dad. However, she fought this disease with dignity until the very end.

I will probably pop on here from time to time under my mum's name to check up on you all and to ask questions myself over time If that's alright?

Much love and thank you all.

Mark

Good evening Mark

Please accept my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your mother.

And of course you can put back in only a mother's name to ask questions if you so wish although I hope we can answer what you ask
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Forum Member
    I am deeply sorry for the loss of your lovely Mum xx

Forum Member
    Hello Mark,
    I am so sorry for the loss of your mum. She often made kind replies to my posts. I am a mummy's boy as well so I appreciate how sad your loss must be for you. Take care.

Hello Mark,

I’m sorry to hear about your mum and please accept my condolences for you, your dad and the family. I admire your mum’s resolve to refuse medical assistance which would have only prolonged her suffering.

RIP Sheila
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!