Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about overnight pump feeding

Forum Member
    Thanks Ellie

To say I’m fed up is an understatement! Last week was one of my toughest yet since diagnosis. I’m losing weight and feeling quite weak so we need to get it sorted ASAP. Tried a new feed last night (just 500ml and on a slow rate) but same problem. We’ll give a day or 2 though. I’ve always had quite a strong constitution and used to eat all sorts of different food with my job which took me all over the world, so why it can’t deal with something so bland I have no idea!! ��

The tendonitis was in my shoulder/upper arm, I think from over stretching to grab the bed rails when the carers turn me. So, lesson learned and no more stretching! It was quickly resolved but yes, no more cocodamol, however bad the pain!

Hope all is well with you?

Love,
    Sarah

Forum Member
    Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry you're having such a terrible time and I am not surprised you're feeling so low. Having an upset tummy with little or no moblity is just awful so I really hope they sort it soon .

I am not PEG fed yet but I have a very sensitive tummy and eat plain food with no gluten. This started the same time as my MND symptoms so it's hard to believe they're not related although my allergy tests were ok.

Sarah, I am loving reading your blog... it's so warm and funny in spite of all you have to cope with.

Take care and fingers crossed you feel better soon,
    Love Debbie x

Sar, when I started pump feeds, my regimen was started off at 25ml/h and taking 100ml (if I remember correctly) It took 10 days to work up to 500ml at 125ml/h BUT I had the luxury of being able to eat orally too, so I wasn't left hungry.

Are those Ensure bottles suitable for your tummy if you were to take a week or so to slowly build up tolerance to the pump feeds? That way you could better manage your calories.

I am doing well, thanks - just getting used to the big smelly elephant sat in my living room

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks Debbie & Ellie

Good idea about taking the feed via a syringe while I slowly build up my tolerance to the pump. I don’t like doing it as it takes so long but I will if necessary. Been feeling very lethargic today which isn’t surprising given I’ve retained so little nutrition over the last week. You come up with far more suggestions than my nutritionist!! By the way, have missed something- what elephant?!

So glad you’re enjoying the blog, Debbie. I enjoy writing it and gives me something to focus on.

Much love to you both
    Sarah xx

Oh, that's just the Covid-19 elephant stalking me !!

Glad you found a workaround for turning in bed.

Beautiful spring day and we now have more daylight hours than night time - woohoo!!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.