• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin_MND
    Forum Administrator
    • Oct 2015

Coronavirus Information

We are aware that the situation surrounding the spread of coronavirus may be causing people affected by motor neurone disease (MND) concern.

Please take some time to review our webpage which shares useful information and links about the current situation https://www.mndassociation.org/mnd-and-coronavirus/.

We are regularly reviewing this in line with the advice given by the NHS and the Government and will be updating our webpage as and when new information becomes available

If you are living with MND or you are caring for someone with MND please discuss any specific concerns you have with your health and social care team. They will be able to give you advice and information which takes into account your specific circumstances.
    Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm
  • It is unrealistic to expect to not get coronavirus for those of us bedbound and reliant on others to visit and care.

the choice is; -
    1. get coronavirus and take your chances.
    2. die of starvation, as all your carers go into isolation for 2 weeks or longer.

government, as usual, are in PR mode and not facing up to the REALITIES.

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

I'm worried to about carers not being honest because many are on zero hours contracts.

You are extra at more of a risk than many of us at catching it.

My breathing is not quite so good now so quite concerned.

Don't like the way that the government is dealing with it, by not testing people we have little idea how bad it is.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• nunhead_man
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2017

Good morning Terry and Graham

I hope you stay well - as you say this carers issue needs fixing

Here are some up-to-date numbers - the level of testing in the United States is a particular standout as is the specific detail of what is a Covid 19 symptom as we presently know it

Updated Statistics, graphs, and data tables showing the total number of cases, cases per day, cases by country, cases outside of Hubei in China, recoveries and discharges, newly infected, active cases, outcome of closed cases: death rate vs. recovery rate for patients infected with the COVID-19 Coronavirus originating from Wuhan, China
        Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• ccinjersey

I think this pandemic is really more a panpanic. The news and social media are spinning it so far out of control people are losing prospective here over it.

55,000 people have died from the flu from October 2019 to March of 2020. Why doesn't the news report these statistics? . The news really needs to stop causing this mass hysteria because it effecting the economy and soon people will start losing their jobs over it.

There is no bottled water, toilet paper or boxes of pasta or rice to found in our stores. Schools are closed as well as most sporting events here.

The N95 surgical mask is the best to use for those that have compromised immune systems the regular surgical mask won't help much.
          Carers coming in from the outside should wear the N95 mask its your best protection and of course wash hands.

There's no need to panic this to shall pass

CCxox

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Hi Cc;

What worries us so much is the speed in which it travels along with it attacking most of us poor respiratory function.

It's probably little worry to normal people and you are probably right in saying Flu kills more people.

I don't think Flu is so easily spread and there are vaccines that lessen the risk.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• ccinjersey

Hi Terry

No worries, no panic. The media is doing this, they scare us out of our wits into a state of panic and that is exactly what is going on here. It has become all consuming for people, in my opinion people are losing prospective because its constantly being shoved down our throats by the media.

Yes people with compromised immune systems have a much greater concern, but worry and panic won't help it only adds additional stress even to healthy people.

Warm weather will be here soon and hopefully this virus will be gone

Here's so info from a health site.

xox

Similarities: COVID-19 and the Flu

Symptoms

• Both cause fever, cough, body aches, fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
              • Can be mild or severe, even fatal in rare cases.
              • Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

• Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
              • A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route
              • Flu can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear, and COVID-19 is believed to be spread in the
              same manner, but we don’t yet know for sure.

Treatment

• Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.
              • Both may be treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as
              mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected.

Comment

• Ellie
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2012

Your posts beggar belief, CC.
                ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2012

I agree Ellie,

Here we are sitting ducks, so vulnerable.

Don't think that there could be much of a worse thing for us with carers.

Nobody is giving the right numbers because they are no longer testing all reported cases.

There is little life risk to normal people which makes it even worse for us, look at Lynne case.

Love Terry

Comment

• Deb
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2018

I agree too,

I am sure we all feel even more vulnerable than usual. My husband and I ( i sound like the queen! ) have agreed to stay at home with no visitors. I know it will drive him mad but we are lucky because I dont have outside carers so its doable.

Our youngest has moved out temporarily to protect me and is leaving our shopping outside. He goes to work on a busy train and he feels he is at risk of getting it and passing it to me.

It's all scary isnt it as life is hard enough living with MND.

I hope, with all my heart , that we all stay safe.

Love Debbie x

Comment

• Terry
                      Forum Member
                      • May 2012

Hi Deb,

I am pleased to hear that you you have grounded your husband.

Love Terry

Comment

• Ellie
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2012

Oh Debbie, I am sooo glad you're both home - I've been thinking of you.

Stay well lovely lady...

Love Ellie.
                        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Lynne K
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2017

If anybody wants a mask to protect from the current Coronovirus then you want PPF3 spec. On Amazon some PPF 2 and 2.5 say that they’re suitable but don’t believe it. I did some research, ending up at the NHS site and that said PPF3 too. Some descriptions state both N95 and the PPF number. I found out what N95 referred to but I didn’t writè it down and I forget, but I remember the PPF3 states it scored 10 in tests . I guess more than we need to know. If you go to Amazon take care . There’s some substandard masks being sold. I always read reviews and if there aren’t any reviews I don’t buy. Good luck, Lynne
                          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Lynne K
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2017

Oops that was supposed to go to another thread. I don’t know why it ended up here as I was reading the other thread. Strange indeed but maybe my dodgy fingers I guess. Lynne
                            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• ccinjersey

Why do my posts beggar belief Ellie, have you once again missed my point ?

We have a 24/7 command center set up in hospital where I work. The Doctors there the supposed ‘experts’ not social media, not the news, not Facebook are stating people can survive this including those with compromised immune systems.

This virus as been around a long time this is just a new strain of it. People with compromised immune systems can also ‘SURVIVE IT’ depending on how well their body can fight it.

The point I was making was not to panic and stress over it. Stress can cause a person’s immune system to weaken and that is a clinical proven fact. Stress decreases the body’s lymphocytes, the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte level, the more at risk you are for viruses, including the common cold.

The other point I was making was all this mass hysteria is causing chaos. Chaos will wreak havoc on your country as well as mine.

CC xx

Comment

Working...
                              X