Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Information

ccinjersey
    Hi Billy106

You say don't trivialize, I say don't panic. I also stated that 'hopefully' with warmer weather this virus will go They same 'hope' the experts want to see. So before going on the attack 'understand' what is being said.

Good luck to you all, I wish you all the very best.

Stay safe and calm

CC xox

Unknown unknowns

There is evidence to suggest the coronavirus does particularly well in certain climates.

Some of the worst hit areas around the world -- from Wuhan, where the virus was first detected, to Iran, Italy and South Korea -- are on more or less the same latitude, with similar temperatures and relative humidity. Researchers at the University of Maryland (UM) have even used this data to attempt to map out other parts of the world that could be at risk of imminent outbreaks.

Though the research remains preliminary, data from the UM study suggests that certain climatic conditions, while not determining whether the virus can survive, may help accelerate its spread.

"In addition to having similar average temperature, humidity, and latitude profiles, (locations along latitude 30-50įN) also exhibit a commonality in that the timing of the outbreak coincides with a nadir in the yearly temperature cycle, and thus with relatively stable temperatures over a more than a one month period of time," the authors wrote.

Brittany Kmush, a public health expert at New York's Syracuse University, who was not involved in the UM study, said that "influenza and other coronaviruses that infect humans tend to follow a seasonality, with cases peaking in the winter months in the northern hemisphere. However, we don't know if this virus will follow a similar seasonality pattern

Forum Member
    Thanks for your lovely words Ellie and Terry,

It is wonderful to have made it home at last and understandably family and friends have wanted to visit as we have been away so long and I've been unwell. It was our sons ( who would not even come in the house ) that pointed out how dangerous this was for me. They made us promise to stay in alone as they did not think we were taking it seriously enough ! Kids eh ?

Seriously, it is NOT panicking for people with MND and their families and loved ones to take every possible precaution to protect ourselves. We know some of us have impaired respiratory function and immunity so it is not scaremongering.

I hope everyone stays safe and well.
    Love Debbie x

Yes Debbie, listen to your wise kids

I banned visitors weeks ago, a tough but necessary decision - self-preservation and all that! No way would I cope with even moderate symptoms. I video call with chat (type text) with some of my family and friends, which is a nice way of keeping in touch.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

I went to Papworth today for breathing tests and to try to get a breathing machine.

They would not give me one but I am staying overnight or two to get one because it would be safer for me if I get virus.

Great staying in hospital, not.

Still I've done a poo
    Love Terry

Forum Member
    well what a nightmare this is eh? Glad to hear you had a movement Terry. I am after some advice if thatís ok. My brother and I take turns in staying with my Mam who has bulbar. We have no symptoms. Your thoughts on whether we should still be with her would be welcome please. I donít want to leave her.
    Thanks and keep your chins up people!
    Lesley

Forum Member
    certainly challenging times for us all. hope you are ok terry. as long as you watch that no-one comes near you in hospital and you don't touch your face, you should be ok, but hospital is the worst place to be. be strong terry.

hobson's choice Lesley. at least you and brother have a vested interest in not getting it whereas the average carer wouldn't necessarily care.

love
    Copyright Graham

Hey Terry, I think you're right in getting a BiPAP machine for a 'just in case' event - such a shame you have to be an inpatient though.

Before you leave, make sure you are comfortable with its settings - no point in doctors saying the settings are good if you can't get on with it.

Also, to avoid you having to return to a hospital or staff having to come to your house, make sure:

- The settings can either be adjusted remotely OR the machine is unlocked so you can be told what settings to change to, if necessary.
    - Bring home a spare mask.
    - Bring home a humidifier and its accessories in case you need one. Even if you didn't need one in Papworth, you may find you need one at home. Some machines have integrated humidifiers.

Take care and a huge hairy hug to you.

Love Ellie.

PS. Congrats on the poo
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry,

Hope you get home soon with the equipment you need.. such a good idea to take these precautions but a shame you've to stay in.

So glad you were able to make yourself comfortable down below. ( ok I am being over polite ... I am glad you were able to go to the toilet!)

Take Care,
    Love Debbie x

Thanks lesley, Graham, Chimp and Debbie;

I am at home now with a Nippy with humidifier, Totally shattered. tell you more later.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    great news you are back home terry.

IT WOULD SEEM THAT I HAVE HAD IT.

over 3 weeks ago I had flu-like symptoms but went on to get pneumonia. I have had flu jab this season, as always, and pneumonia jab 5 seasons ago. I was put on clarithromycin and amoxicillin to clear the pneumonia. I refused to go in hospital. I am now recovered.

I originally got it from a carer's son. it is highly contagious and all my carers have had it. an older colleague was badly affected taking 3 weeks to recover.

nhs failed to test in all cases. very poor.
    Copyright Graham