Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Information

Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Terry, it’s good that your wife is careful. It was hard for me to get my husband’s initial cooperation to self isolate with me. But I got there 10 days ago for him to agree for us both to self isolate. So we’ve stayed home mostly, and gone on short trips in my car. We’ve been doing internet shopping and keeping contact with loved ones in WhatsApp or Skype video calls. But my husband is like a naughty school boy, gone into Asda and Tesco at quiet times. He’s gone into the shop at petrol stations instead of paying at the pump. He told me that he’s trying to get paracetamol for me. That’s either stubbornness or stupidity and I’d be the most vulnerable if he brought the virus home. I’d rather do without paracetamol than get Covid19. Anyway I bought PPF3 face masks (with respirator valves) yesterday and told him that he must not go into any more shops or otherwise have close contact until he is wearing a face mask. They are due to arrive between tomorrow and Monday,

I’d searched for available PPF3 masks for a course of weeks. Most companies are out of stock, I saw a pk of 5 reusable PPF3 with respirator valves yesterday for £32.95. These were out of stock also. I then went to eBay and found what looks like the same masks for the exploitative price of £94.99 with £5.99 postage so I bought them despite being thoroughly disgusted about the inflated price. But at least I will have them and buggins will have to use one. I’m getting more forceful about this than I am about anything else because of the importance of complete isolation for all of us. I’ve had enough of feeling that he just doesn’t get it. I don’t care now if he doesn’t get it but insist now that he cooperates. He’s brilliant in keeping me fed and watered. But I like my independence to do my porridge every morning in our microwave and my lunch about half the time.

How are you coping?
    Last edited by Lynne K; 19th March 2020 at 17:34.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

A narrow escape?

I may have just had a narrow escape.

A little under three weeks ago I visited one of my physios for a final steroid injection for my painful shoulder. This one, thank God, seems to have worked, in that it’s now much more comfortable in most positions.

Like most physios she was a picture of health and fitness, together with the physique of a rower.

So imagine my shock today to receive an email from her cancelling a follow up appointment because she has “been advised on medical grounds to take a complete break from clinical work for six weeks…due to the severity of my respiratory health”.

Doug

Forum Member
    There must be a huge percentage of our population with or has had coronavirus. The BBC/NHS are pulling our leg by suggesting only 3,000 have had it. The true figure must be at least 300,000. People have been flying into this country from China, Iran, Singapore and Korea for months unimpeded.

Sadly, we have a country full of 'I'm alright Jack and Jills' and a government that only encourages 'em.
    Copyright Graham

Forum Member
    Government now wants to shield me and you. Six weeks too late for me but how the heck do you SHIELD people that need close intimate care?? WTF are these highly paid top brains of the country thinking??

Self isolating is not a problem for me, as 10 years of austerity have FORCED me and many of us into isolation for the same period. Again, how incredibly insensitive and frankly THICK.
    Copyright Graham

Forum Member
    My carers been calling 111 but not interested unless you are dying. Finally got to see the GP today.

Nearly 4 weeks into covid and the pneumonia is still persisting albeit being much improved from earlier. However, the infection does strengthen after a night of sleep. A ****-up getting both antibiotics didn't help and I have only been on amoxicillin for 3 or 4 days. Hopefully the next double-barrelled antibiotics, including clarithromycin, will finish the infection.

FINALLY... Good to see Boris is getting serious and enacting a lockdown. A shoot-to-kill curfew may be reasonable in some circles, as that is what the irresponsible are doing to us. However, we can all calm down a bit now with the death toll now forecast to be less than 100,000 this year.
    Copyright Graham

Forum Member
    Lynne , a bit lost for words about your husband .. the only one i can think of is Idiot.

My husband had finally agreed to self isolate properly since my earlier post.

Graham I hope that your latest antibiotics do the trick. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

We're concerned to see that people with MND have not been included in the Government’s list of extremely vulnerable persons in their guidance on shielding and protecting vulnerable persons from covid-19.

If you're living with motor neurone disease we recommend that you self-register as extremely vulnerable on the Government's website. This may help you get the best possible support.

Click here to read more information.

As a follow up to our post above, we have further information to share.

People with MND are yet to be included on the Department of Health and Social Care list of those who are extremely vulnerable. However, we've had it confirmed that people with MND can self-register as extremely vulnerable.

Visit http://gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable and follow the steps below.

1. After confirming you live in England, indicate if you’ve received a letter from the NHS and enter your details. Then tick "Yes I have one of the medical conditions on the list".

It's been confirmed that, in this instance, MND is classed as a severe respiratory condition.

2. If you live in Wales or Northern Ireland, please follow the advice provided by the Welsh Government and the Department of Health.
    We have local Branches and Groups available to support too, find your nearest here https://mndassociation.org/branches.

3. You can still help MND Campaigns lobby Matt Hancock to specifically include motor neurone disease on the Government’s extremely vulnerable list.

Please join us and take action here > http://bit.ly/MNDCovid-19.

Thank you for your support.