Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Information

Hi Deb,

I am pleased to hear that you you have grounded your husband.

Love Terry

Oh Debbie, I am sooo glad you're both home - I've been thinking of you.

Stay well lovely lady...

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

If anybody wants a mask to protect from the current Coronovirus then you want PPF3 spec. On Amazon some PPF 2 and 2.5 say that they’re suitable but don’t believe it. I did some research, ending up at the NHS site and that said PPF3 too. Some descriptions state both N95 and the PPF number. I found out what N95 referred to but I didn’t writ it down and I forget, but I remember the PPF3 states it scored 10 in tests . I guess more than we need to know. If you go to Amazon take care . There’s some substandard masks being sold. I always read reviews and if there aren’t any reviews I don’t buy. Good luck, Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Oops that was supposed to go to another thread. I don’t know why it ended up here as I was reading the other thread. Strange indeed but maybe my dodgy fingers I guess. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

ccinjersey
    Why do my posts beggar belief Ellie, have you once again missed my point ?

We have a 24/7 command center set up in hospital where I work. The Doctors there the supposed ‘experts’ not social media, not the news, not Facebook are stating people can survive this including those with compromised immune systems.

This virus as been around a long time this is just a new strain of it. People with compromised immune systems can also ‘SURVIVE IT’ depending on how well their body can fight it.

The point I was making was not to panic and stress over it. Stress can cause a person’s immune system to weaken and that is a clinical proven fact. Stress decreases the body’s lymphocytes, the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte level, the more at risk you are for viruses, including the common cold.

The other point I was making was all this mass hysteria is causing chaos. Chaos will wreak havoc on your country as well as mine.

CC xx

Forum Member
    you sound like trump, cc. only trump has now seen the light, as he too is in the 'at risk' category and sees the threat.
    Copyright Graham

ccinjersey
    I didn't say there wasn't a threat Graham. I stated people need to keep it in prospective that's the difference.

We have an 83 year and a 99 year old admitted right now, both in negative pressure rooms, both with other underlining conditions, and both doing very well.

Forum Member

CC Get Real , Warm weather will rid . What???

Dont Trivialise

Forum Member
    I agree mate , As MND sufferers we dont stand a chance. by the time they prioritise who they treat . as in Italy , 80yr olds are being refused hospital treatment for this virus. What chance do MND sufferers have.
    Anyway pass the Bacardi and the Regal king size over.

Good morning all

I think the important thing here is not to trivialise but not to panic.

I note the comparison of flu and Covid 17, and the point that is missing is that viruses get cleverer as natural selection chooses the ones that survive.

By way of explanation of that think of Darwin's finches who only lay perhaps two clutches a year so selecting the best likely to survive with the right beak shape that fit the fruit on the island on which they have landed and then develop as a separate subspecies - this change in anatomy took perhaps 100 years selecting for the best feeders in each generation?

And then think of viruses which have a much greater number of progeny per item and produce these progeny with a horrifying rapidity so the generations turn over very quickly and so quickly choose the ones that are going to survive.

So Ebolla, rot its cotton socks, is so effective at killing people and has a poor transmission route such that the horror of the deaths mean that our species use that horror to clobber it.

It seems to me going back to the difference between flu and Covid 19, that this new virus has struck a better balance between infectiousness and mortality in its host species which of course is an order of magnitude greater it seems than the mortality from flu.

What I really want to know is whether I can fiddle with the settings on my nippy to help my breathing if I get infected and need to self isolate in such a way that it helped me survive - but I'll start a new thread for that.

I'm also thinking about our move of house where we are due to exchange contracts the weekend after next and move on 7 May so there are so many variables to do with who's got the virus at that time not the least the operatives in our chosen removal firm and ourselves.
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"