Thread: Ibuprofen

Forum Member

Ibuprofen

Hi Everyone,

People might already be aware of this but just in case .... I received an email from my GPs surgery to warn against taking ibuprofen if you have respiratory symptoms as it can exasperate them. Paracetamol is safer.

Hope everyone stays safe and well,
    Love Debbie x

Yes Debbie, thanks for sharing. There seems to be conflicting information regarding taking anti-inflammatories (not just ibuprofen) if you've Covid-19.

It started with French doctors saying not to take NSAIDs for fever or headache associated with the virus, but to take paracetamol instead. There doesn't seem to be an official stance on this yet but this may change at any moment!! I guess it's best to err on the side of caution...

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Good afternoon

I may be adding to the confusion but listening to the radio whilst I was having my lunch there were some chap saying that a temperature is the body's way of dealing with a virus and that taking the temperature down unnecessarily means the body doesn't do as well with the viruses as it otherwise might.

He also confirmed the paracetamol versus ibuprofen debate in that the latter seems to be a depressant in the body's immune system as well as an anti-inflammatory
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

The NHS website has been updated and says to take paracetamol for a fever.
    Last edited by Ellie; 17th March 2020 at 15:17.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member