• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthew55
    Forum Member
    • May 2020

Opinions please

I am seriously considering having my upper incisors removed before I go completely mad. I am missing one of my front teeth already so is it a good idea?
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

MND Connect are off until Tuesday, Matthew.

May I ask in the meantime - in what way are they driving you mad(I hope you're not in pain...) and are you talking about having all of the other 3 upper incisors removed? Has your dentist suggested anything?

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 23 May 2020, 15:13.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user
    ​

Comment

• matthew55
      Forum Member
      • May 2020

Hi Ellie, I am drawing blood most days from my lips and tongue as my jaw has moved. I haven't been able to find a dentist at this present time but what I want is the canine not incisors removed, my bad 😊
      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

Oh I can empathise!

My jaw hangs too but my upper teeth overhang my lower teeth, so I only chomp my cheeks when I sneeze I wear a light gumshield in bed, which my dentist made, and I guess I could wear it for most of the day too, if needed (obvs not if eating and, as I can't speak, that wouldn't be a consideration for me)
        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user
        ​

Comment

• matthew55
          Forum Member
          • May 2020

Just a thought but I live with MND 24/7 and nights and weekends are probably the hardest times to get through, I don't feel like calling the Samaritans just yet but at least I know I can call them at anytime. I'm not having a go I'm just saying.
          Love Matthew

Comment

• MNDConnect
            Forum Moderator
            • Mar 2016

Hi Matthew

I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you are having. It must be very unpleasant and uncomfortable for you. We would suggest speaking to a dentist to discuss having teeth removed.

I am sorry that we weren't available over the weekend. As a non-emergency service, we aren't available at weekends. We do, however have an evening helpline which is run by experienced volunteers. They are available between 7pm-10:30pm Monday-Friday on 0808 802 6262.

Best Wishes

Rachel
            MND Connect Adviser
            MND Connect
            Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• matthew55
              Forum Member
              • May 2020

Thanks Rachel, I was having a bad day my bad. Sorry.

Comment

• MNDConnect
                Forum Moderator
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
                Thanks Rachel, I was having a bad day my bad. Sorry.
                Please don't apologise. It's completely understandable that you would want someone to contact. Please be assured that we will always try to respond to you as soon as possible

Best Wishes

Rachel
                MND Connect Adviser
                MND Connect
                Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X