Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motability

I feel for you Jacqui and I understand your dilemma about spending money on something which may soon become unusable.

Does your OT know you well? You could ask them for an opinion - not about Motability itself, but on the feasibility of the whole thing.

I know stopping driving was gut wrenching for me, I empathise with you completely...

Take care.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquij View Post
    I was starting to look at mobility scheme as lockdown came in, and it looks like it is going to be some months before it will be open to new applications which is a shame.

Can I ask what type of vehicles people have and what they think about them.
    Hi Jacqui,

Since you ask I will offer my opinion based on extensive research.

Ask yourself the question what will be the main purpose of your vehicle. Do you want freedom to go anywhere or just to use it locally? Does it need to be big enough to accommodate a scooter? Automatic vehicles are certainly easier to drive but once you declare to DVLA that your reason is medical rather than by preference they will change your license and you canít go back to manual. I still have function in both legs therefore I declared a preference for automatic.

Also worth considering is how easy is it to get in and out of the vehicle. As we become less mobile a car that is low to the ground becomes difficult so my preference is an SUV. I appreciate that extras can be expensive, although many manufacturers include them as standard but they take a lot of stress out of driving and many become safety features.

Good luck with your search for the right vehicle.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi thank you for your advise some great points to think about. My preference is to convert my car and have a nice young man to help me at my destination, however I don’t think that will be possible as my Husband may get upset with me. The local driving assessment centre rang me yesterday to see if I would be interested in July in going for an assessment which my OT had suggested so I think I will wait for that.

Hi all,

Great news from Motability. As a result of fewer cars on the road they have seen less claims for accidents so they are refunding £50 to their customers. I received my cheque this morning. I suppose we have to see some positive signs out of this crisis.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!