• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportingmac
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2014

Neater Arm Assist

Has anyone had experience or use the Neater Arm Assist?

I had a home visit from Neater via my S&LT and OT - seems a very useful piece of kit for those of us who have lost use of their shoulders and upper arm. It works very well - but at a price!

I am thinking of buying this system - but would like to hear from any one who has used or tried to use it.

Kind regards

Chas
  • Barry52
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2012

Hi Chas,

Whilst I have no personal experience of the aid my friend uses one and she thinks it is marvellous. I understand that the MNDA gave her a grant towards the cost which you elude to is expensive.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Ellie
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2012

Chas, I've no personal experience of it but, searching the Forum, people who used it seemed happy with it (they didn't say who paid for it unfortunately)

Just thinking, if you wanted to buy a Neater Eater, why not apply for an MNDA grant towards the cost of it? And don't feel you're not entitled to a grant - I'm quite sure all of the people who raise money for the MNDA want it used to improve the life of someone living with the day-to-day challenges MND throws at us...

Here's the relevant page explaining about grants: https://www.mndassociation.org/suppo...ople-with-mnd/

Love Ellie.
      Last edited by Ellie; 16 September 2019, 14:22.
      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

Sorry Chas and Barry.

There weren't any posts when I started my reply, but I got distracted by a needy dog and didn't realise Barry had given the same advice by the time I got to post my reply
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Barry52
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2012

Ellie your needy dog must come first as they have yet to learn how to feed themselves.

Love,
          Barry x
          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• MNDConnect
            Forum Moderator
            • Mar 2016

Hi all

Sorry to intrude on a non-MND Connect thread! Hope no one minds.

I just wanted to clarify that funding for a Neater Eater can be made with our MND Support Care Grant. The application would need to be completed by either the Speech and Language Therapist or the Occupational Therapist. A feeding aid would be considered an assessed need so it falls under our Support Care Grant rather than our Quality of Life Grant. Most pieces of equipment would be considered an assessed need and require the appropriate healthcare professional to complete the application. They can download the application form from the link that Ellie has posted (thanks Ellie )

Thanks everyone.

Rachel
            MND Connect Adviser
            MND Connect
            Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

Thanks for clarifying which category of grant it'd fall under Rachel.

Love Ellie.

PS. You certainly don't need to apologise to me for intruding, if you can call it that. I'd much rather Chas gets the complete & correct info (not to mention the fact that I often post on the MND Connect pages )
              Last edited by Ellie; 16 September 2019, 14:28.

Comment

• Sportingmac
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2014

Thank you all for your replies. I know the 'needy dog' situation - we have a 6 month old Irish Setter - great fun but quite a handful when he 'decides' he wants to play.

Just to be clear it is the Neater Arm Support system that interests me - the Neater Eater was useful too but I think the Arm Support system works better to feed myself - and enables access to other pieces of technology that are arriving soon. So I'll be wired up - tubed up and powered up - I'll report back when it is all in place.

Kind regards

Chas

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

That arm looks way cool Chas, looking forward to hearing how it works for you x

Comment

• Ellie
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sportingmac View Post

Neater Robo-arms are out of stock - sadly for me it will be a 4~5 week wait.
                    That's a shame Chas - I was looking forward to you getting it almost as much as you were

Comment

• nunhead_man
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2017

Good afternoon all

Forgive me butting in but the pictures I saw describing this all showed folk in wheelchairs.

I assume it does not work if you are otherwise mobile, given the need for some sort of leverage?
                      Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• MNDConnect
                        Forum Moderator
                        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by nunhead_man View Post
                        Good afternoon all

Forgive me butting in but the pictures I saw describing this all showed folk in wheelchairs.

I assume it does not work if you are otherwise mobile, given the need for some sort of leverage?
                        Hi Andy

You can also attach arm supports to a table. They are known as mobile arm supports.

Best Wishes

Rachel

MND Connect Adviser
                        MND Connect
                        Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Ellie
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2012

Hi Andy, Rachel,

For the Neater Eater, yes it can be attached to a table, but for the Neater Arm Assist, which is a fairly substantial piece of kit and requires a power source (usually wheelchair's batteries) I don't know how it would work in a standard table/desk and chair situation?? It certainly is not mobile.

This video gives an idea of the mechanism:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Love Ellie.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2018

Good afternoon Andy,

Further information can be found in the Neater Arm Support Instruction Manual (link provided below):-

http://https://www.neater.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NAS-Instruction-Manual-Users-version-140923.pdf

Best wishes
                            Kayleigh
                            Last edited by Kayleigh; 1 October 2019, 16:10.

Comment

• Terry
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2012

Hi Andy;

There used to be some that, I think were wearable but I can't find them now. I guess they would put a bit of strain on the back.

Love Terry
                              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X