No announcement yet.

Hoists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trouble with MND it seems a piece of equipment Is issued and the physical changes occur and then another assessment is needed.I have just got a date set to return unneeded equipment asap.However I am very grateful to my OT for problem solving as my needs change.
    Best wishes
    Mary x

Comment

LindaB thanks Linda for the new topic info.

Ellie That's the kind of hoist we were expecting to use, but we've been told we cannot have one like that as it needs 2 people and my husband can't use it on his own. My thought is, just watch us!

1 Can they be used by one person (husband)? We like to try.

2 How on earth do I get into that sling? Two legs that don't work and now arms, shoulders and core have decided not to play nicely either.

Comment

I managed easily to operate one of those on my own. If you have carers come in they will require two people.

2 How on earth do I get into that sling? Two legs that don't work and now arms, shoulders and core have decided not to play nicely either.
        [/QUOTE]

It’s really easy for your husband to get the sling on you so don’t worry. Don’t think of you getting into it but of it being slipped around you.

Comment

A consideration by care agencies is moving and handling and as Bowler said most agencies will say 2 carers are required to support safe transfers.
          However the reality is many carers, partners etc manage to use hoists single handed,
          Best wishes
          Mary x

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
            Ellie That's the kind of hoist we were expecting to use, but we've been told we cannot have one like that as it needs 2 people and my husband can't use it on his own.
            That's why I said to have a neighbour, friend or family trained in using the hoist to satisfy the OT, then your husband can see if he can use it on his own and, the overwhelming experience of family members is Yes, one person can do it, Bowler being one example.

Originally posted by Susie View Post
            The slings are designed for people like us Sue, they are U-shaped, open bottomed for toiletting and, as Bowler said, not something you "get into".

In bed, lying flat, the sling can be pushed under you from the sides and under your thighs, buckled, then attached to the hoist - getting the sling on and off takes practice but becomes routine whether it's put on in bed or in a chair. The sling is probably the most involved aspect of using a hoist, the hoisting itself is a doddle. xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Phil has just recently done his hoist/sling training they’ve given us wendylet sheets an extra handrail for the bed and a wedge to help him to roll me on his own, just waiting for the correct shower chair and review of my wheelchair before we can use it though 🤦🏼‍♀️
              Also measured up for one to fitted downstairs today 😬
              Janette x

Comment

Originally posted by Nettie View Post
                Phil has just recently done his hoist/sling training
                Also measured up for one to fitted downstairs today
                Is that for ceiling hoists Janette?

Following your saga on having your home adaptions done makes me realise why people contact DIY SOS, and it's not for their 15mins of fame... xx

Comment

Yes ceiling hoists Ellie, yeah I should of gone on DIY SOS they’d have done a better job and quicker 😬
                  Janette x

Comment

Ceiling hoists are OK for one person to use, it's the other hoists which (allegedly) take two people to operate, in an OT's rarefied world anyway 🥴

Comment

I have been hoisting (ceiling) since last Friday - as with all things its a bit of trial and error but I feel we are getting there, its just time consuming, I do most of it and Albert uses the remote, as he likes remotes of course, we use the open sling which means I can get him on the commode and push him over the loo while he still has the sling on.

Shower days I take the sling off when he's on the commode/shower chair, once he's top half dried put the sling back on (awkward whilst sitting position), hoist him on the bed, take the sling off, dry the bottom half, dress him and put the sling back on, bobs yer uncle - this I reckon takes about about an hour and 15 minutes - the clock is on and I aim to revise this!

Think he looks vulnerable on high but he says he feels ok, one thing I would say though is you defo need access to both sides of the bed
                      Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Working...
                      X