• Show
Clear All

• matthew55
    replied
    I think that becoming disabled has opened more doors than doors closed x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I totally get his reluctance for the hoist Jane. It was the worst bit of equipment for me to accept too. To me, there's something about a hoist that screams DISABLED!!, even more than my wheelchair does

Hopefully once he sees how it improves the whole palaver of getting in & out of bed, he'll come around to it.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Jane northwales
    replied
    Hi Ellie
    The OT has said she has arranged for a gantry hoist to be fitted but my husband is struggling to come to terms with the need for a hoist.
    It is another huge intrusion on his day to day living and evidences further deterioration.
    Thank you for your kind insight
    Xxx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Hi Jane.

I use a standing hoist for getting out of bed - I can weightbear, with adequate core strength but have no arm function - and it's straightforward for someone to put a sling on me and to operate the battery operated hoist (the control has an Up button and a Down button, and there's an emergency stop button on the hoist itself, that's it)

There are also full-sling hoists for those who cannot weightbear and they can be either mobile or on ceiling tracks. The slings for these type of hoists can be more tricky/awkward to put on, but with practice, it becomes second nature. The hoist itself is easy to use with just a few buttons.

Yes, I feel 100% safe being hoisted because I know my sling is put on me correctly - feeling secure and comfortable in the sling is key and don't assume the first sling your husband is given is necessarily the correct one! first sling I'd suggest you try whatever hoist and sling provided to get a feel for it !!

Can you remember if the OT mentioned a specific type of hoist? Does your husband have a profiling/adjustable bed?

Take care.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Lcfcno1fan
    replied
    Being hoisted is fine (but I’m only on the receiving end )
    James

Leave a comment:

• Jane northwales
    started a topic Hoists

Hoists

Hi everyone, my husband is very unstable on his legs now and has no upper body use. We are now in need of a hoist to help with getting in and out of bed. The Occupatipnal Therapist is due to visit again this week to discuss this further, any advise on how easy hoists are to operate and how confident to you feel when being moved by a hoist? Jane
Working...
X