X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread Dvd;

From little acorns ------

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Katrina,

I use both the keyboard and the writing board on predictable. The finger or stylus are thick so you have to use the return key to move the text into the speech section then delete and start the next phase of text. After a bit of practice and some patience your dad will pick it up. Reminds me of when in 1996 my employer gave me a laptop and said the secretaries have gone, type your own reports. Needless to say I didn't know how to switch it on let alone a querty keyboard.

Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Barry, maybe a mixture off the two would be a good idea to get him used to it,,and once he can no longer use the writing bit , he will just use the typing bit more without realising it, if that makes sense... [email protected] able to switch it on... I taught dad how to email, he says that it takes that long to type... It would take forever to have a conversation... I think that's what puts him off... Anything is worth a go .... Katrina x

Comment

What a brilliant idea Dvd, why have I not thought of this???

I can mostly understand what Julie is trying to say but sometimes I need Julie a 'Air Write' the first letter of a word in the air and with her finger, once I have the first letter I can work out the rest of the word.

Julie is a tech dinosaur, absolutely no idea in technology, did not and does not want to know and will never use a keyboard of any type, however Julie can still write things like birthday cards, shopping lists albeit in a weird way to others as she now hold her pen in such a way that you would think that it would be impossible to write, a bit like a 'righty' watching a 'lefty' write I suppose then add a bit more contortion too the mix... But I can read her writting fine.

So, I am going to investigate this a bit more as it seems like a super-dooper idea as Julie can get across what it is she is trying to say without the need to type which she will NOT do under any circumstances. me I think it is 'bananas' that folk find it hard to type but that is bev#cause I have been doing so for decades (including typewriters before technology came along) but for someone who have never typed it MUST seem so alien and hard (finding all the correct keys etc)... Like me, don't ask me to knit as I cannot, never have done, so why start now... Get my point.

Defo going to look into this for my Julie... Many Thanks for the info.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave K .. Many thanks for you reply .. My friend used to " Air Write " first letter / s in the air then I grasped that word. This mostly happened when we are out and about and with a lot of traffic and even in restaurants it can get noisey so the noise just blocked out what speech he had left .. So he would have used "Air Write"..
            Now no more ",Air Writing" I take the Tablet when we go out and about and he writes the words on it ..
            dvd
            Last edited by Dvd; 12 February 2016, 11:43.

Comment

I have found a free App for Android on the Google Play store and it is free. Plus you do not need a stylus, a finger will do.

The App is called 'Markers'... I just installed it on my Asus tabled (Android) and Julie loves it, in fact we have just spent 10 minutes playing Noughts & Crosses.

Maybe worthwhile trying this one for Android phones / tablets...

Dave X

Comment

Originally posted by Dave K View Post
                I have found a free App for Android on the Google Play store and it is free. Plus you do not need a stylus, a finger will do.

The App is called 'Markers'... I just installed it on my Asus tabled (Android) and Julie loves it, in fact we have just spent 10 minutes playing Noughts & Crosses.

Maybe worthwhile trying this one for Android phones / tablets...

Dave X
                Hi Dave ..just downloaded it ..it is excellent ..well done you .. Would be very handy if you had just your phone out with you ..
                dvd

Comment

Yes, it is compatible with all Android devices. You can also save them to your photo gallery, if you want. Here a couple from Julie, remember Julie has very arthritic hands / fingers and has only been let loose on it for 5 minutes on her own.

Success... She absolutely loves it.

Trial 1.jpg
                  -
                  Trial 2.jpg

Dave

Comment

Got to thank you though Dvd for spurring me to think outside the box as everything else I tried has failed as it has always been 'keyboard' related and Julie hates anything that has a keyboard.

So, thank you...

Dave

Comment

Dave that is fantastic .. Am so glad Julie has taken to it ..now you both can have some fun writing / drawing or playing some games ..
                      Hope you have fun using "your " new find for the non typists ...
                      DVD

Comment

Not tonight though as Julie is now in bed, she is always tired on 'day centre' days but tomorrow I will fire it up again and get Julie used to it...

You never know it might be the break I were looking for.

Dave

Comment

For anyone who has ANDROID devices tablets etc .. Google voice has had an update and you have now a choice of a UK male of female voice which is free .. Have photo shot the details how to download it ... .see PIC ... dvd

IMG_20160212_193538.jpg

Comment

Now that's handy Dvd, especially as I bought 2 x 64GB MicroMemory SD cards, one for the phone and one for the tablet for only £15 each last week.

Might give it a whirl and see if it sounds better than the original, based on the size of the download I would guess that it is much much better.

Dave X

Comment

Thanks Dvd;

Just got a new Samsung tablet with the "5" operating system. Samsung have there own male english voice that is quite good.

Love Terry
                              Last edited by Terry; 19 September 2016, 21:20.
                              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Charles;

I think that Barry is away for a while, is there anything that we can help you with regarding "Predictable" ?

It is good to discuss things on open forum as it helps others as well.

Love Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X