easy test to speech app for someone with bad eyesight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easy test to speech app for someone with bad eyesight

My dear 80 year old mum has just been diagnosed with MND. It has come as a shock to us all. Her speech is beginning to go quite quickly. I bought her a tablet and downloaded a free Easy Text To Speech app, but the keyboard letters are quite small, if i could get them bold letters it would help considerably. I know i can change the size of the keyboard, but not the letters on the keyboard, or can I? Or is there a better free app please? Thank you

Hi Lou and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear about your mums recent diagnoses and I'm sure that everyone is shocked and confused.

She should have access to a speech therapist (SALT) and I would push that so as to get their help on this matter. They do vary from being quite good to being completely hopeless on type to speak things.

Does your mum use a computer or tablet?

I guess your have bought an "Android" tablet and most apps for the are not very good. "Predictable" is quite good but £140 and she will still probably have the same problem with the key board but you can email "Therapy box" about that and ask as they might be able to do something. The bigger tablets have bigger keyboards and you can increase the keyboard size on some.

Voices are quite poor also on most tablets but better ones are available.

If you have bought an I Pad please say.

You can download different keyboards to use on the android tablets, I have a "quick key" one that is very predictive but not over easy to see.

There are other options like special talking machine like the Lightwriter and Allroa, these are less like a computer.

Also people still use low tech systems like writing, an alphabet board and other things.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Lou;

Many text to speak apps are made for a phone and are laid out not in a landscape way and have smaller keyboards because of that.

Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Don't know if this would be of any help ..take a look ..you can get small Android tablets 7 inch which are quite cheap now so perhaps this might be a suggestion
        Dvd
        http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/larger-...ly-tech-savvy/

Comment

Working...
        X