X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoist makes and models

Hi all

I am after your advice again.

We have just had new hoists delivered which we have been waiting ages on as our OT was fighting to get these specific ones and low and behold- we want the old ones back!

We had the invacare with the sling that comes under the legs as well as arms and it was ok apart from pulling up under his arms (although he didn’t have any complaints) and being difficult to fit through doorways etc.

Now we have had them replaced with the handicare mini lift which is meant to be a much better position as it doesn’t pull up under the arms. But because my husband has no use of his arms he is very slouched forward so his head is on the bar. These hoists are much better so far as taking up less space and getting through the door but I find the position of my husband in it totally unsafe and unacceptable.

Can anyone tell me what hoist and sling they use with no arm function? As I said, my husbands head drops forward and he can’t hold himself up and back nor can he have his arms up.

Thanks

Rebecca

​ Rebecca, was the Invacare hoist a sit to stand one too, like the Handicare minilift? It's odd that a sling for a sit to stand hoist would go under legs.

If he leans too far forward, perhaps a full hoist would be best for him but I presume the OT has assessed him and provided the Handicare, knowing he could use it.

To answer your question - I use a Nordic Capella 201 sit to stand hoist and a Liko Support Vest sling (mine is more padded than in photo below but is same shape) I have no function in my arms so they hang by my side and don't hold the bars.

Nordic Capella Hoist.jpg

Liko Support Vest Sling.jpg

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you Ellie.
      The OT came yesterday and made some adjustments. The hoist you have posted there looks like the user stands much more upright. I think that my husband finds it more comfortable to lean his head over and stand very hunched over. To me it looks very uncomfortable but he is getting annoyed at me for worrying when he says it’s fine. So I will leave him to it!
      Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X