Keeping food warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping food warm

I it is taking me longer and longer to eat a meal. Half way through the food is getting cold. Other than keep 're heating in a microwave or oven, does anyone have suggestions.

Kevin

There are a few options Kevin - insulated food flasks and bento boxes you can eat from or bowls which have a compartment into which hot water is poured, and keeps the food warm.

If eating normal sized meals takes quite a while, you must get tired?? If so, try having smaller meals more often. Or, when you're ready, do what I do, take most of my calories through my feeding tube and eat a smallish, tasty lunch.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Make the most of it. I would kill to be able to eat normally again.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The process for having a feeding tube fitted has started. Trying to start the process before I really need it as there will be a waiting list.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinp2109 View Post
          Thanks for the info. The process for having a feeding tube fitted has started. Trying to start the process before I really need it as there will be a waiting list.

Kevin
          Hi Kevin. The wait might not be too long. I signed the consent form on the 23rd September and had notification yesterday that I'm booked in for 1st November. My wife and I have to isolate for two weeks before the operation and have a Covid test a few days before. I think they treat feeding tubes as fairly urgent because if you lose the ability to eat while waiting it becomes an emergency. As for food going cold, there is always salad.
          Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

I was going to suggest like Ellie about bowls that you pour hot water into to keep food warm.
            not sure how good it is to keep heating food up. Smaller meals sounds a better idea.

Comment

Quite a few on this website, Kevin.

https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/eati...ls-plates-mugs

Also, I've noticed that some food keeps its heat better than others (mashed potato) and some food tastes okay when it's gone cold (pizza) in my opinion. Pasta, which I've always liked, gets very monotonous when cold.
              Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Hi how about the plate warmers as used in Chinese/Indian restaurants​​​​​​,Just need a candle
                S
                As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinp2109 View Post
                  I it is taking me longer and longer to eat a meal. Half way through the food is getting cold. Other than keep 're heating in a microwave or oven, does anyone have suggestions.

Kevin
                  Hi Kevin,

I make sure my plate is hot from the oven but even then the vegetables get cold before I can eat them. I’m having baked potatoes more often as they are always hot and for a change I will have baked sweet potatoes.

Barry
                  I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

What about heating the plate and covering with foil. Probably be a pain keep lifting the foil but just a thought.
                    hot gravy ready to pour. 🤔

Comment

Working...
                    X