Bipap machine help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bipap machine help

Stephens machine has started collecting a lot of moisture in the pipe from machine to mask. Which sometimes sprays onto his face and also makes a horrible sound. I thought perhaps I'd filled the tank up too much but with less liquid there's no difference. Anyone have any ideas. The young lady who used to come from the hospital hasnt called for 6-8 weeks so we are all alone again. 😞

Hi Denise, I personally use a CPAP machine for Sleep Apnoea, not sure what a BIPAP is, BUT, I am supposed to wash the tubing out weekly and the mask daily to stop bacteria forming from any damp inside the pipes, I have tried it with the humidifier but that didnt work as my bedroom is always cold - thats supposed to stop any moisture forming inside the pipe etc,

I use a dash of washing up liquid for the pipes and leave them to dry all day

Sue
    Last edited by Suefromwakey; 23 November 2020, 11:39.
    Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Denise I've checked it out - not much difference a CPAP is single pressure with BIPAP dual pressure - the cleaning will be the same

Sue

Comment

I do clean it every week. I was thinking as it's getting colder is it causing condensation. Thanks for getting back to me. 😘

Comment

Denise if its a separate humidifier take it off, use the machine on its own, apart from having to fill it with distilled water, try buying that here, I found it useless.

Comment

i will try that tonight. thanks

Comment

If that doesn't work try him with nasal pillows............I don't get along with an actual mask cant stand it on my face but the nasal pillows work ok and you don't feel as claustrophobic and have more freedom to your face. Just a thought

Sue

Comment

denise You can get a heated hose or, a cheaper option, get an insulating cover for the hose, to stop condensation.

Love Ellie.
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'm sure we have insulation somewhere. Will look up nasal pillows. 😚

Comment

Hi Denise

my husband uses the ventilator with the humidifier every night and we haven’t had any moisture build up and have never cleaned the hose. It has a wire which spirals around the whole length of it that stops condensation. This is what the machine was provided with from the hospital. Hopefully you can source that or the insulation works.

Comment

https://shop.resmed.com/GB/en/CPAP-A...%84%A2/p/37296

this is it and amazingly doesn’t cost the earth!

Comment

Originally posted by Bexxy View Post
                        ...and have never cleaned the hose.
                        Rebecca, not wanting to appear overly fussy but... the hose really should be cleaned regularly to avoid any chance of fungal or bacterial infection, however small that risk might be - even a weekly 15min soak in Milton.

Love Ellie.

Comment

Actually Ellie that's a good idea about the Milton...........Ill try that as I do get smells of washing up liquid even though I use only a little....Milton might not be as bad

thanks

Comment

Yes Sue, no after taste but dilute it well. If it's gentle enough for babies... x

Comment

Oh ok. I have cleaned the mask regularly but will do the tube too.

Comment

Working...
                              X