Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MND hit us a few weeks/months ago. Speech solution ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re processor: yes, I'd try to fit in with their system specifications.

Re 4C vs 5: no, I am just interested in (any) new kit. I have zero niggles about the 4C's functionality, accuracy or responsiveness.

Re wheelchair mounts: mine was provided by AAT. You need to first identify where on the wheelchair is suitable for a mount - powerchairs are often lacking in suitable uprights, so sometimes the mount is attached to a footrest. They are modular systems so, once you know where it will go, you can look for heavy duty tubing, clamps and a tablet holder. Because it's for eye gaze, it should have no bounce or droop, so those flexible €30 supports you may come across just are not stable enough, unfortunately.

You could contact Cenomy, or a similar company, to see how much they'd charge for a complete mounting system, then compare to what you can DIY.

This is the type of mount I have (not my provider) to give you an idea. http://www.inclusive.co.uk/inclusive...g-surface-pro#
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

And the Tobii comes with its own mount/holder to stick to the screen ? I don't need to worry about it when choosing the tablet mount ?

I see in your link there can be 1/2/3 tube. Is 2 or 3 of any use ? Longer reach in case it need to be attached to a footrest ?

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen behold the thread with the most words! 😂x

Comment

Magnetic strips keep the eye tracker in place, so bear that in mind - make sure you can return kit if it's not suitable.

Yes, tube numbers and length depend on where on the chair the anchor points are.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. We've found an association that starting next Thursday could lend us free of charge the kind of setup we were discussing - Surface Pro, a Tobii tracker and some communication software (Grid or the Tobii one). That's really great since it will mean the opportunity to see for ourselves.

This was in no small part made a lot easier thanks to your help, which clarified things a lot and has been giving us a lot of serenity towards this perspective, so thanks a lot again.

Comment

De rien!

Great to hear your FIL will have the opportunity to chat to his family.

Take care.

Love Ellie.

Comment

Working...
              X