X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ellie. I can always rely on you to put a positive spin on things. Xx

Comment

He is very negative Pink;

There is virtually no risk of choking during the opp. As for guaranties later on, who knows. Perhaps he will guarantee that you won't brake a leg. What a load of rubbish.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

I think what he meant Terry was you won't die of starvation but may choke on your saliva. I really thought he'd encourage me to have it. He also said sometimes the bowel gets nipped and leads to infection due to escaping faeces!!! Perhaps I was looking into it too much. It was just a bit off putting. I've had a lot of surgery in the last 6years but don't remember being given a picture of doom and gloom. But then alot of people have us written off as soon as they are told our diagnosis. One day at a time. Xx

Comment

In a RIG procedure, you drink a contrast dye, which shows up on X-rays, allowing the doctor to see where your stomach and intestines are, to know where to place the feeding tube.

In a PEG procedure, a camera is put into the stomach which allows the doctor to see where the feeding tube should be placed.

There is a risk associated with everything in life, but as for having a feeding tube fitted Pink, the statistics are definitely on your side.

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Chimp and pink,

I had a RIG about four years ago but was not given any drink at all before hand.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

It's usually given, or it should be at least (!!) because it makes the procedure safer - the dye shows up the loop of bowel beside the stomach.

The drink is normally taken the day before.

Comment

Yes he did tell me about the dye. That's why they want me in the night before.

Comment

Had an appointment come through for rig next weds... Eek!!

Comment

I hope it all goes well for you Pink. Let us know how you are when you feel up to it.

Barry x
                    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Good luck with your procedure Pink. I hope that it goes well. Lynne
                      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                      I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Best to get it over & done with Pink and start building up your strength again to stay fighting fit !!

Love Ellie.

Comment

Good luck Pink hope all goes well ! Like Barry says let us know how it goes . I said at the start of this journey that I wouldn't have a feeding tube , but I am not so sure now !

Love Chris

Comment

My husband will be asked if he wants the PEG at his 1st clinic appointment. He is coming round to the idea of having it done which is brill.

Comment

I am open to anything. I am wanting to have it done to hopefully make me feel better in myself. I can only think that my weight loss has contributed to my feeling so unwell. Fingers crossed

Comment

Hi Pink I thought that losing weight was part of MND . I am eating normal meals although a bit smaller portions than I used to have when I was more active , but have lost weight due mainly to muscle loss. My top half is more noticeable on shoulders and bust I have had to get rid of a lot on my clothes, but stomach has got a lot bigger !

When it comes to the time when I have problems with eating I will consider a peg but so far no one has mentioned it !

Anyway all the very best for the op and hope it makes you a bit better

Love Chris x

Comment

Working...
                                X