Mouse buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse buttons

I use a mouse to type and control my android tablet. The trouble is my middle finger rests on the right mouse button and has a mind of its own. So I click a link with my left button and every now and then my middle finger decides to click the right button which has the effect of taking me back to the previous page. There doesn't seem to be any way of disabling or reassigning the button, so short of amputating the offending finger I'm stuck with hoping that it behaves itself. Any ideas?
    Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Gary, have a look at alternative mouse hardware to see if there are any which you could use, in case you want to know what exists (before you meet the ACE Team?) Before eye gaze, I used a joystick and switches.

http://www.inclusive.co.uk/hardware/mouse-alternatives

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Gary
      You couldn't just tape it to your ring finger? Or would it just pull the other fingers. I'm surprised Stephen manages.

Comment

Gary,
        get in touch with your environmental controls people, they set me up two big buttons that I can hit with the palm , and can also be used like foot pedals if needed, they will also try any offer gadgets that might help, will need a referral to them ( if you can wait , it’s free)
        shau
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
          Gary,
          get in touch with your environmental controls people, they set me up two big buttons that I can hit with the palm , and can also be used like foot pedals if needed, they will also try any offer gadgets that might help, will need a referral to them ( if you can wait , it’s free)
          shau
          I'll have to pester the SaLT, she's been very reluctant to refer so far.

Comment

My fingers make involuntary moves the only thing I can can help is thick gloves. Great when out and about but a little usless indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
              Gary
              You couldn't just tape it to your ring finger? Or would it just pull the other fingers. I'm surprised Stephen manages.
              It's an idea to explore.

Comment

Gary
                sorry it wasn't technical or scientific I was just thinking plasters or hair ties. Something to hand now. 😊

Comment

I used the same switches Shaun uses, except I clicked them with my knees and foot.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryM View Post

I'll have to pester the SaLT, she's been very reluctant to refer so far.
                    Hi Gary , I got my GP to send the referral, as hospital team not forthcoming, failing that your local hospice might help, if one dept not helping try someone else.
                    I love my buttons , on the switch controls there is facility to have a total of 4 buttons if needed, left/ right/double/ space bar

another tip she gave was to put a little wedge of paper under the button to prevent clicking left/right buttons together , I use a combination of mouse and buttons and swearing

Comment

Shaun How do you move the cursor? (as opposed to the curser 😄) x

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post

another tip she gave was to put a little wedge of paper under the button to prevent clicking left/right buttons together , I use a combination of mouse and buttons and swearing

I thought about that also. Might be a good quick fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                          Shaun How do you move the cursor? (as opposed to the curser 😄) x
                          Hi Ellie, wiggle mouse as normal , I can move hand it’s the fingers don’t do what the are told ,like wearing mittens without a thumb bit, but can still type with index finger

Comment

That's great, Shaun - long may it last. x

Comment

I had the same problem of forefinger twitching and clicking when I didnt want it to.
                              My OT passed me on to an Assistive Technology Team who provided me with a unit called a n-ABLER, it consists of a plastic box half the size of a shoe box with inset buttons and a rollerball the size of a tennis ball. The unit is obviously ancient but works effectively, except if you wanted to scroll.
                              I then bought a Kensington rollerball mouse which I have been using for many months, although that is getting more difficult to use so wil be connecting the n-ABLER again soon.
                              Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                              Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                              Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

Working...
                              X