Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To bidet or not to bidet?

Hi all,

I’m thinking about getting a bidet attachment to sit on my toilet. Costs about 600 but with plumbing/electrician to install i imagine it will end up a bit more! I don’t want to replace my toilet but am thinking it will keep my independence going a little longer. Has anyone had experience with these and if so are they worth and do they work?! Also, any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Many thanks. X

Sarah cant comment on the bidet bit, but to say we purchased a high level toilet - which is actually too high for me ! - but within a matter of months my husband had the problem off getting off even with grab rails etc,

ended up having it all ripped out, a new wetroom, another high toilet but now with a commode/shower chair which I push over the loo with him sat on it, you could well waste your money as it could be short term

Sue
    Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Originally posted by Sarahw View Post
      Has anyone had experience with these and if so are they worth and do they work?!
      Yes Sarah, worth every penny for both parties! As well as independence, it preserves dignity - I found I didn't mind so much if carers wiped me, but my husband, that's completely different...

One thing about the bidet seats is that they are bulky at the back so, if you need a commode chair to fit over the loo in future, that may be a problem, depending too on how near the loo is to the wall. ( Mary C has an ongoing chair saga!)

Most people on the forum with the bidet seats have Bio Bidet brand, but other brands do exist.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Just a word on this.... When we had our wetroom fitted we opted for a "comfort "high toilet. I was still able to get on and off it using the side rails. I can't do this anymore but I can just about transfer sideways.

Apparently it is too high for a shower wheelchair to go over it so it will need to be changed. I am on the look out for a fully adjustable shower wheelchair, however. X

Comment

To Deb
          Good look with that Deb as Ellie says I have tried umpteen shower chairs to fit over bio bidet 1000 with not much luck.It depends on the shape of your toilet.
          The shower chair we had customised when it arrived it was ridiculously high so sent back to be adjusted.Good job at the moment I can get on and off the loo independently .
          Best wishes Mary

Comment

To Sarahw
            Do your research .I have a bio bidet 1000 and happy with it.The problem started when I tried to find a shower chair that will push over the toilet fitted with the bio bidet.( ongoing saga)
            There are complete systems made by Clos o Mat and Geberit but more costly at over £3000 quoted when I enquired.
            The actual bio bidet works great for me..Gives a good wash and dry😂
            Best wishes
            Mary

Comment

Hi we had the Giberit wash dry installed when we had the new wetroom fitted. The shower chair fits over nicely and it is not pressure sensitive and has a motion sensor that my partner just has to raise his hand at.
              His arms are getting to weak to lift now but also has a remote that I can use while outside the bathroom if needed.
              It’s given him some dignity back and worth every penny.
              Good luck with whichever you choice but remember they are mainly on a pressure sensor so no good to use on a shower chair really.

Comment

I'm getting a free one, guess I am lucky. I need luck that's for sure.
                Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Nicely put Jojo,
                  In retrospect and if I had realised that the bio bidet doesn’t work well with a shower chair I would have gone for a Geberit or Clos o Mat washer dryer.Of course there is the cost implication to consider.
                  Best wishes
                  Mary

Comment

Geberit is what I'm getting
                    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

A Gerberit is what I got fitted. Quite a shock using it for the first time, we have the remote, and opted to not have the wall sensor fitted as I cannot use/lift my arms.
                      Entertaining when visitors use it
                      Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                      Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                      Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

Comment

My friend is in for the suprise of his life 😉😂x

Comment

I got the AKW bidet fitted it’s really good for keeping it a 1 person job.
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p080fXNZY1Q
                          attach a hose and plug it in was pretty easy to fit

Comment

House44 Thanks Wayne, great to have a recommendation for a bidet seat other than the Bio Bidet. xx
                            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks Wayne..very similar to bio bidet.
                              Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X