Lap top recommendation πŸ€”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lap top recommendation πŸ€”

Thinking about buying a lap top specifically considering voice banking. My current lap top is really for work so need one for personal use.
    Does anyone have any recommendations (middle of the road budget). I've no clue when it comes to IT equipment. Thanks all πŸ’»πŸ–₯πŸ€“πŸ‘
    Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Linda before spending your hard earned money talk to your SALT. Ours organised one from ACT ( NHS) for free. They will also conduct a full assessment of current needs. As with everything once you are hooked up with them they will continue to provide upgrades including eye gaze if necessary plus other techy stuff.

Comment

LindaB Do you really need a new laptop right now? The most important piece of equipment for voice banking is a decent microphone, a headset type, preferably with noise cancellation. Do you have one or can you borrow one? They cost about Β£40.

xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

I used a Sennheiser headset for mine, which I purchased from Amazon. I can’t find the model number but I’m sure I didn’t pay more than Β£50 and it’s now useful for joining in with online comedy recordings for Radio 4. My SLT also offered to borrow a free set for me from the MND Association but I preferred to have my own.

Comment

I used equipment loaned by MND association via SALT team to do voice recordings
          Mary

Comment

Mary yes MNDA did say they could loan me equipment...maybe few weeks wait. Sally that was my thought if I buy it frees that up for someone else.

I do have a head set Ellie....use for work. Plantonics so maybe that's good enough. Don't you need a lap top to download the programme to?

Bowler I really must speak to my SALT team...you're right....to be fair to them we've played tennis with phone call messages.

I think juggling work and the hundred other things I 'must' do is not as easy as I thought. I'm taking a week off so hope to cross off more on the list. Feels like so much to organise post diagnosis...which I know you all know...you've been there done that πŸ’‹

Thanks to you all for replying with such helpful info πŸ’‹

Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

You need a laptop or other computer that is compatible with your headset.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaB View Post
                I do have a head set Ellie....use for work. Plantonics so maybe that's good enough. Don't you need a lap top to download the programme to?
                There should be a model numer on the headset, check it out and, if it's good enough, you're sorted!

Yes, you need to download software to record your voice, it doesn't require much memory space and, if you don't need to use a separate PC for anything else, could you do with just the one device until/unless you need to download specific apps, i.e., your current laptop.

Notwithstanding that you might be 'given' (loaned) a device, if you're buying a new laptop, buy the best available within your budget - screen size might be as important to you as the processor, and speaker quality is important, though you can buy little bluetooth speakers. If you're used to Windows, sticking with Windows might be better. In our house, we have Acer, Asus, Dell, HP & Microsoft Surface devices, all doing as they're supposed to, and of course, there are lots of other brands.

A trip into Currys might not be a bad idea, have a chat face-to-face with someone to get a feel for what you might need, maybe don't buy anything that day, especially if you feel confused.... xx
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Ellie "especially if you feel confused" you know me so well already πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Work lap top is a Microsoft surface pro which is lightweight and not too large. (Thinking of carrying round when needed)
                  ​​​​​​You're right a trip or two to Currys 😘
                  Thanks all πŸ’‹
                  Last edited by LindaB; 6 July 2021, 17:36.

Comment

πŸ’»Update on laptop....pleased to say an MNDA loan laptop arrived yesterday....with software loaded. That's great support. Will start the voice banking process this weekend. I've had a house guest all week so on hold for now. My voice is really deteriorating so I just hope I have enough oooomph (that's a technical term πŸ˜‚) to manage it.
                    So I've time to research lap tops whilst I have the loan one.

Ps For me losing your voice feels soul destroying...I'm usually the chatty one...anyway onwards and upwards and all that...πŸ‘

Comment

Hi LindaB.
                      I too am losing my voice now as it’s certainly slower and weaker.Like you I dread losing my voice and will have to rely on the app Predictable.I did voice recordings but don’t think the voice sounds like me.I have had a few practices with the App with grandchildren and it’s slow but it allows basic communication.
                      I know many other forum members have lost their speech and seem to adapt as best they can.
                      Like you Linda I am chatty and have a sense of humour which I fear will be lost when I communicate via the app.
                      Good luck with recordings.
                      Best wishes
                      Mary

Comment

LindaB Linda isn’t the MNDA laptop on β€˜permanent’ loan or do you have to return it? Remember you can ask the MNDA for a grant. Give them a call.

Richard
                        Richard

Comment

You can get a relative or friend or even a mixture of everyone just ask the provider. Please don't dread the inevitable. I use a boogie board and in one to one conversations I tend to use one word, and get vocal confirmation. I use txt to speech rarely as I am always hitting the wrong character. Plus I have to keep my right index fingernail really short! πŸ€­πŸ€—πŸ€”πŸ˜xx
                          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

P.S. a sense of humour is NOT lost along with your voice πŸ€­πŸ€—πŸ€£πŸ€£xx
                            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Mary C it's awful isn't it....I've had to watch I'm not snappy with people as I repeat words that aren't clear. I know there are worse things but for me it feels a very big deal. I also think because I don't know if there's anything at all I can do to preserve what voice I have left makes me feel powerless. It's a huge loss.

richard I believe it's on loan for as long as needed...reviewed 3 monthly. While I still have a salary I can afford to purchase & others may not have that luxury...if I'm forced to retire that may change...

matthew55 thanks for the positive post....you're a tonic. I can tell your humour will never be dimmed. Voice or no voice or computer voice. Laughter is the best medicine...cheers

Thanks for the replies you amazing humans....πŸ’‹

Comment

Working...
                              X