Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes

Not sure where this topic belongs but let's start here. For those who still have the ability to walk, with or without assistance, what have you found to be the best footwear? Soft soles vs hard, athletic shoes vs conventional, slippers vs shoes with laces? I have PMA and find athletic shoes help me avoid traction issues and minimize "foot drop". I'm still fairly new to this whole thing and find the learning curve to be overwhelming sometimes.

Mick bought Skechers with velcro, better than laces

Comment

Hello Howard,

May I suggest your starting point is to get an AFO (Ankle Foot Orthotic) to minimise your foot drop and is worn inside your shoe. It will mitigate against the risk of tripping too. That will be a factor in determining the best type of shoe too - in general, sturdy lace-ups give the best support, but individuals vary and what suits one person may not suit you...

I know you're in the US, so do you have a PT who can assess you and recommend an AFO?

It's different this side of the world as we're assessed for foot drop and, if necessary, AFOs are provided (or should be, at least!!)

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Howard

My MND first manifested itself as (left) foot drop. This is now completely paralyzed and my left calf has significant muscle loss. It is slowly spreading upwards, but I can still walk short distances with the aid of a stick.

For the moment I can wear all my normal footwear, except, sadly, my walking boots.

Even before I was diagnosed, an OT gave me a marvelously simple but effective orthotic which fits any of my laced shoes. It’s the Orliman Boxia AB01

http://www.orliman.com/en/product/ca...t-ankle-brace/

In principle, it’s just a powerful elastic band that stretches between the front of the ankle and the laced area of the shoe and serves to lift the front of my foot up. Without it, I would trip and fall frequently.

If you wear trousers it’s very inconspicuous.

If it’s compatible with your footwear and MND status I highly recommend it.

Doug

Comment

Hi Ellie!
          Thanks for the info. I do have AFO's which I've only had for about 2 weeks. The shoes they advised me to use with them are extremely heavy. When I wear them they work great and totally eliminate the foot drop. My only issue with the whole arrangement is the weight. They really cut into my limited amount of stamina and wear me down quickly. The AFO's are made from carbon fiber which is really light in weight but the shoes are the problem. I wear the AFO's when I leave the house but for everyday wear they are quite taxing.
          Maybe I should look for lighter weight shoes that can be worn with or without AFO's. Sounds like I'm on the right track; just have to get used to them!
          Thanks so much for your help!!

Comment

Great idea Doug. Thanks! I'll look into that. Have a great day. (Sounds like we both miss hiking!)

Comment

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Comment

Hi Doug. I got one of those from a hospital as ppliance department before I was diagnosed. It was good but I get a very painful ankle whenever I use it. Maybe this is caused by arthritis but the ankle doesn't usually hurt. Does your ankle get sore with being held in tight static position? Lynne
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

HWRhoads, me too. I very much miss walking the hills, boots on, shorts worn in good weather. Rucksack on my back and map in hand or pocket. I try not to be too downcast but rather count myself lucky to have known such joy. Lynne
                  ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                  I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Lynne

No, it doesn't hurt my ankle. Because the elastic strap is flexible the ankle gets a small amount of movement when I walk. And when I'm sitting I try to remember to exercise my ankle by putting my toes on the floor and lifting my heal up by lifting my leg. And then reversing the position by putting my heal on the floor and pressing my leg up and down.

The biggest problem I find is cold, caused by lack of muscle tone and circulation. The padded wrap around band helps slightly here because of the added insulation.

Doug

Comment

Hi Doug;

You can get electric heated insoles, where the power is supplied from small battery packs around each ankle. I have them in a larger pair of warm slippers, just for when it's really cold and I'm out in the wheelchair. Bought about 4 years ago.

Have not needed them this winter.

Love Terry
                      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

I have used an Orliman Boxia AFO for nearly a year now and it has enabled me to walk with one drop foot. I started by using running shoes with it, as they are light and have plenty of lace points to hold the anchor point in place. But the grippy soles have been an increasing disadvantage, as they catch on shiny floors and cause trips and falls. I now use ordinary Ecco shoes, which slide on shiny floors and which I find much better and safer. Being able to slide feet along a floor when needed is a help. I expect to use an AFO on the other foot soon, as it is starting to drop.

Comment

Many thanks Terry!

Never knew such things existed.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                            HWRhoads, me too. I very much miss walking the hills, boots on, shorts worn in good weather. Rucksack on my back and map in hand or pocket. I try not to be too downcast but rather count myself lucky to have known such joy. Lynne
                            Totally agree Lynne - we have such beautiful mountains and national forests around Oregon it was my favorite way to renew my spirits and get exercise at the same time! Free gift to hikers. I miss it too but like you, am thankful for the time I did have to take advantage of the outdoors. I fight every day to maintain my "glass is half full" attitude and staying positive. Howard

Comment

Working...
                            X