Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ejector seat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ejector seat

    A month or more ago there was a discussion about an Up Easy cushion on the forum. Quite an expensive item, it contains a gas lift mechanism that helps propel you out of a low chair and into a standing position. I’ve been having increasing difficulty recently getting out of normal height chairs, so I found one online and bought it. It’s brilliant and it really has made a difference. I thought I should share the tip in case anyone is interested.

    I didn’t buy the Up Easy for £155 from a leading retailer of equipment for the disabled. I found essentially the same thing with the name Aidapt Lift Assist Cushion at Amazon for £59.99. In fact I was lucky and bought one in a damaged box for £43.

    We call it my ‘ejector seat’ and have taken it to to a few pubs and restaurants. You get a few funny looks, but what’s new? Worth a look, I think if you’re having difficulty standing up from sitting.
    Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

    #2
    Ejector Seat - love it Peter 😍😍

    Do you find it comfortable to sit on? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

    Comment


      #3
      Yes, pretty comfortable! When it’s compressed you are obviously sitting a bit higher than normal but the memory foam cushion is good.

      Only thing to add is that Mrs PeterPan made a nicer (more tasteful) cover to use instead of the bright blue original!
      Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

      Comment


        #4
        Great post Peter, well played Sir. 👍✌️😁🤗xx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by PeterPan View Post
          Only thing to add is that Mrs PeterPan made a nicer (more tasteful) cover to use instead of the bright blue original!
          Aah, I'm thrilled, you married Wendy after all 😉💕

          Glad it's comfy and good on your wife for making a better cover. xx
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

          Comment


            #6
            PeterPan thank you for sharing. I am looking for exactly the same. I have a recliner so now I can add this.

            Love this forum for tips like this.
            Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

            Comment


              #7
              Just a note of caution.
              I think check with your OT if possible before purchasing equipment because 1.they may provide it 2.it might not be suitable for you.
              In another life - when I worked in residential care we were advise not to use mechanisms that propel the person up out of the chair....mind you these were older and frail people. The risk being they could topple forwards.
              😇
              Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by LindaB View Post
                2.it might not be suitable for you.
                I'm not disagreeing with you LindaB Sometimes there is a wide gap between what an OT's definition of 'suitable' is and the practical/workable/common sense definition.

                Safety should never be compromised though, it's just not worth the broken bone, torn ligament, stitches or physical and psychological set back. xx
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Don't get me started on Health and Safety or as it should be called The Common Sense Guide. 😉😁🤗😍xx
                  Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Glad you found something .

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Looks really interesting. Could be handy while we wait for the chair to arrive again
                      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        LindaB You're right, of course and we each have to make our own informed, adult decisions. The word ‘propel’ in the context of this cushion is probably misplaced. A gentle ‘push on the rear end’ is probably a better description Anyway, it works for me.
                        Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

                        Comment


                          #13
                          PeterPan that's great not like the James Bond ejector seat 😂😂😲
                          Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by LindaB View Post
                            PeterPan that's great not like the James Bond ejector seat 😂😂😲
                            I had that Corgi toy car too… no, nothing like that!
                            Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by PeterPan View Post
                              A month or more ago there was a discussion about an Up Easy cushion on the forum. Quite an expensive item, it contains a gas lift mechanism that helps propel you out of a low chair and into a standing position. I’ve been having increasing difficulty recently getting out of normal height chairs, so I found one online and bought it. It’s brilliant and it really has made a difference. I thought I should share the tip in case anyone is interested.

                              I didn’t buy the Up Easy for £155 from a leading retailer of equipment for the disabled. I found essentially the same thing with the name Aidapt Lift Assist Cushion at Amazon for £59.99. In fact I was lucky and bought one in a damaged box for £43.

                              We call it my ‘ejector seat’ and have taken it to to a few pubs and restaurants. You get a few funny looks, but what’s new? Worth a look, I think if you’re having difficulty standing up from sitting.
                              Hi Peter, this equipment sounds interesting (after my horrendous experiences yesterday), what is the lifting mechanism? Is it mechanical? Do you think it would be useful to someone with almost no self lifting capacity in the legs but able to push up with arms? Sorry, asking you to guess🙄

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X