Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEG and Sling

Hi,

hoping to have PEG for next month can any advise best type of toilet sling to use? Cheers x

Hi Shirl, good luck with your PEG procedure. I’ve not heard of ‘a sling.’ Do you mean a hoist? I’m getting a Closomat wash and dry loo and a shower chair that will fit over it. Then my husband will have to wheel my in. I’ve been waiting months now for these and other adaptions. My Council Works Department is ever so slow xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi, the sling is for the ceiling hoist, thank you Good Luck with your adaptions x

Comment

Well played getting a Peg. Any questions are welcome. 👏😁🤗😍xx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Shirl - OT brought us two types of sling - one for general day use and one very specifically for toileting, have a word with them
          Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Shirl
            Hi Shirl you need an OT assessment for hoist slings as easy to get the wrong one for the job.
            Best wishes
            Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl View Post
              hoping to have PEG for next month can any advise best type of toilet sling to use?
              Shirl, most toileting slings are 'cradle' type slings, coming up around your arms and back, so don't have straps across the tummy.

I think you still have good trunk and head support but the less supportive slings rely on a strap across the front of the body for safety. This strap may not interfere with the PEG site and, if it does, contrary to popular belief, this strap doesn't need to be pulled tight against your body!!

Do ask your OT to show you different slings - it may be a case of you getting a more supportive sling than you necessarily need, which is open to the front, even until the PEG site is well healed, then switching slings. Either way, if sling style A isn't suitable, switch to sling style B etc.

The placement of a feeding tube varies depending on your actual stomach, so whereas my incision site is in my mid-belly, others have theirs much higher up, so this will also have a bearing on the potential impact of any sling straps.

Best wishes for the PEG procedure xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Shirl,
                I must have tried 7/8 different types of slings as I wanted to be independent and feel secure. I hated the tummy straps and felt they were unnecessary. It’s really worth persevering, especially on the independence front - they think it’s not possible! Good luck with the peg. I look forward to hearing how you get on as I feel I’ll be heading that way one day soonish. X

Comment

Originally posted by Sarahw View Post
                  I hated the tummy straps and felt they were unnecessary.
                  Agree totally Sarah, not everyone needs the tummy straps - did your carers insist on strapping you in as though you were blasting off in a space rocket 😏 xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                  X