Keyboard Options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard Options.

If you thought PCs have only the one keyboard, you may be in for a pleasant surprise 😏

Eye gaze users generally use the onscreen keyboard supplied with their software, for example, Grid 3, which has predictive text.

I don’t use Grid 3 software with my eye tracker, but a mix of open-source software and Windows’ own inbuilt eye control software which allows me to type using standard predictive text OR to use swipe text OR to use shape writing, the latter two options also giving predictive text displays.

For non-eye gaze users, if clumsy fingers make for clumsy typing, your PC’s onscreen keyboard, with predictive text, may make typing less of a challenge. If your screen is touch enabled, either on a laptop or tablet, your onscreen keyboard should also support swipe text, i.e., similar to typing on a mobile phone. The onscreen keyboard can usually be made bigger by a click and drag, if it’s a tad finicky.

Maybe your laptop has a better onscreen keyboard if it’s in ‘Tablet Mode’?

If using the standard physical keyboard, you can choose to see predictive text options on your screen as you type, which works in the text box on this forum, again this can be switched On and Off in ‘Settings’ - search for ‘typing’, where you’ll also see an auto correct option.

Get familiar with what's in your device’s ‘Settings’ - it’s the cog/gear symbol. For example, type ‘keyboard’ into the search box and see what’s on offer. Is the mouse too fast or too small? Type ‘mouse’ into the ‘Settings’ search box and change the settings. There are various different helpful features available to users and, although I’m speaking as a Windows user but know that Apple have good accessibility options too.

Play around with your options, or ask a friend, the kids or grandkids what alternative keyboards are on your device - there just may be something easier lurking behind an icon 👍👍

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Blimey mate. Well done for that post. 👍👌😍🤗xx
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Thank you so much Ellie for such extensive info ! Xx😘🤗

Comment

Ellie thank you as always for taking time & effort to give us all that valuable information. 😘👍🏻👏🏻💙
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Ellie your amazing, thanks xx
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

With arms and hands feeling increasingly like lead weights and a fast fading voice, this post couldn’t be more timely Ellie! Thanks so much for your time and effort. So much to discover and new challenges to overcome! 😘
            Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

Working...
            X