TD Pilot Eye Gaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TD Pilot Eye Gaze

Has anyone tried the new TD Pilot for the ipad? I'm curious if it's as good as the pc eye mini.

Are you asking how do the eye trackers themselves compare - the integrated Tobii IS5L eye tracker in the Pilot v the PC Eye Mini?
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I’ve had a home demonstration of the TD Pilot. It was very impressive and, once more freely available, I’ve been told that I’ll be able have one. I’ve had iPads since 2011 and the seamless integration with my iPhone and MacBook will be really great. For the time being I’ve been given a TD i13, which I think has the same eye trackers - so I can get some practice.

I’m struggling a bit with eye gaze just because I get so tired and find it hard to concentrate and learn. But I’m trying.

I’ve not had a problem with the TD eye tracker on either device though. It works effortlessly once calibrated, even thou I wear variofocal glasses. I was worried about that.

I’ve no idea how the TD Pilot compares with the PC Eye Mini, so can’t actually answer your question!
      Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

PeterPan jumping in on a different topic....I think I need to buy an iPad have never before...would you recommend a specific model?
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

LindaB Hi Linda, my preference is for the iPad Air, which is light, thin and looks great. But it is more expensive than the standard iPad, which is also pretty good. I don’t see the point of the iPad Mini, which is like a super size iPhone (without a phone!). I think the iPad Pro models are more difficult to use as they are a bit heavier and not so well balanced.

A word of warning though, because I can no longer lift my arms I can’t use my iPad so easily. I can only type with one finger on my iPhone now. If you think your arms are on the way out (I hope they’re not) it might be best to wait and see (and save money!)

Comment

PeterPan thanks for that...hands are very weak but always been a one finger typist.. arms ok...for now.
            I imagine it's best to go for the largest screen size?
            Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

LindaB the biggest are the Pro models, personally I wouldn’t have one of them (as described above). I think the Air is a good choice- quite big enough, but relatively light. Have a look on the UK Apple store website.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPan View Post
                I’ve been given a TD i13, which I think has the same eye trackers
                Yes, the TDi13 and the TD Pilot both have an integrated Tobii IS5 eye tracker.

I’ve no idea how the TD Pilot compares with the PC Eye Mini,
                Just to be pedantic (that's my middle name 🙄) the TD Pilot is the device, as is the TD i13, and the PC Eye Mini is an eye tracker, as is the Tobii IS5, so a comparison can't be made between the TD Pilot and the PC Eye Mini.

Daniel Fudge-Harman If comparing eye trackers, the Tobii IS5 is superior in every way to the PC Eye Mini, which is obsolete since late 2020.

If comparing how an eye tracker works in a Windows environment vis-à-vis an iOS environment, then you will find differences.

On the TD Pilot, there is a notable difference in the accuracy of the Tobii IS5 eye tracker depending on whether you're using a TD app or an iOS app, the latter being markedly less acurate. If you want an explanation, it's because iOS doesn't support 'region interaction technology', which enables the tracker to quickly lock a gaze onto a button/icon and activate a quick 'enter' action. In practice, if using an iOS app, the cursor doesn't have this 'gaze lock' function, so is jumpy, unpredicatable and less accurate.

If most of time on the Pilot is spent using TD Snap and TD Control, there won't be an issue as these are TD apps, not iOS. With practice and/or iOS improvements, I'm sure the user experience can be enhanced.

Comment

Thank you Pedantic , you’re quite right about the iOS region interaction point. That was explained to me (but not that succinctly). I’d forgotten that!

Comment

That was explained to me (but not that succinctly).
                    Succint is my last name 😉🥰 'No bull' prize for me 😏🤩🤩😘

Comment

Just in case anybody is not aware but eye gaze is not the only solution available once you are no longer able to use your hands and fingers. Here is a picture of me at my iPad and I am using my Integramouse device which uses my mouth and breath to control my cursor. This was supplied to me by my local electronic assistive technologies team. Typing is dealt with more quickly by using speech to text.
                      Anybody wants more detail on how this set up works I am happy to post a separate thread 👍

Take care,
                      James x
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Lcfcno1fan

​​​​​​​
                        Originally posted by Lcfcno1fan View Post
                        Typing is dealt with more quickly by using speech to text.
                        Anybody wants more detail on how this set up works I am happy to post a separate thread 👍
                        I’d really appreciate that separate thread, James. Always keen to explore all options. Do you still have speech? Don’t answer that here. I’ll look out for new information! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X