X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynne K
    replied
    Originally posted by Madge View Post
    Lynne I’m so sorry to read what you have been going through my heart goes out to you x it all sounds very exhausting x my OT and physio visited me last week and have ordered me a mobile hoist. Reading your message just makes me feel anxious but I will give it a go x hubby gets me off the bed and RR chair at the moment x like you I had a slipped disc and had an op on my back some years ago x in the days I was mobile I exercised regularly but now I can’t do that x the hospital has suggested that I have physio which has been arranged through the GP x I also have scoliosis!!!
    I’m having a lovely facial tomorrow… can’t wait x I dreamt last night that I had reflexology and acupuncture and got up and walked… I live in hope x
    Thanks Madge. I’m booked for reflexology at Bury Hospice soon, can’t remember when xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Madge View Post
    I’m having a lovely facial tomorrow…
    Wonderful, enjoy the relaxation Madge 👍👍

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Our dreams are our sanctuary from the reality of our illness. 👍❤️😊😍xx

Leave a comment:

• Madge
    replied
    Lynne I’m so sorry to read what you have been going through my heart goes out to you x it all sounds very exhausting x my OT and physio visited me last week and have ordered me a mobile hoist. Reading your message just makes me feel anxious but I will give it a go x hubby gets me off the bed and RR chair at the moment x like you I had a slipped disc and had an op on my back some years ago x in the days I was mobile I exercised regularly but now I can’t do that x the hospital has suggested that I have physio which has been arranged through the GP x I also have scoliosis!!!
    I’m having a lovely facial tomorrow… can’t wait x I dreamt last night that I had reflexology and acupuncture and got up and walked… I live in hope x

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    Poor show from the OT, supplying equipment she didn't take the time to familiarise herself with before using it on a client. Lynne, you could have slipped down to the floor as you weren't secure in the hoist... xx
    Spot on Ellie xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
    Aha, my OT thought those straps were 2 sizes.
    Poor show from the OT, supplying equipment she didn't take the time to familiarise herself with before using it on a client. Lynne, you could have slipped down to the floor as you weren't secure in the hoist... xx

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Aha, my OT thought those straps were 2 sizes. I’ll try copying your pictures and send to her. Thanks xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I had a look at that hoist Lynne - the only time it seems to be used with a hip sling, it's used in conjunction with a chest sling too, like these slings:

Or using a sling like in thiss Freeway SA160 hoist:

Also, it says that the angle of the footplate can be changed, maybe that would stop your feet slipping off? xx

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Oh my goodness Lynne K you are having such a difficult time. I really feel for you and I hope there are solutions soon.

I couldn't get on with a standing hoist because it didn't feel safe but I was losing the ability to weight bear when we tried it. The knee pad was exactly where id broken my leg so that didn't help. Your transfers sound so stressful.

I know its not a long term answer but have you enough arm strength to transfer sideways using slidesheets.?. Stuart lifts my feet/legs with and has one hand in front. I can go from RR to wheelchair and bed like that. He is doing more lifting, however so, like you, this won't be for long.

Big hugs to you,
    Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    Lynne, you're having such a trying week, I'm sorry.

Perhaps it is, it's just an RR, or it maybe that I'm taller, who knows...

Talk about confusing 🥴 Sometimes nearly have to sit into those hip slings, unless it really is for the chest 😏
    It is a trying week.

My OT couldn’t get the strap to stay where she’d put it. I was wearing layers and it slipped its way up then.

I wondered why it was called a ‘chest strap’ if it goes around hips. It doesn’t equate to me. But my OT usually knows what she’s talking about.

The standing hoist is a Freeway SA 160. It’s waiting in our living room for collection (taking up space and frustrating Steve who has to dodge around it to get to his chair).

I’ve been doing my usual RR chair, grab walker on my left in front of my wheelchair that is next to my chair. I take a couple or three steps to back into my wheelchair.

For bed I first go do my teeth, so the RR chair, walker and wheelchair performance and then negotiate all of the awkward corners to our wet room. Then Steve comes in to change my stoma bag (this is new) and then I back out of tiny wet room and negotiate more dodgy corners to my bedroom. I park close to my bed but leave standing room. I stand up, hold tight of bed guard in front of me to the left. I grab the footrest connecting bar with my right hand and pull between these easing my body weight on to my bed to my left. Put my feet up and Steve comes to attach my catheter to a night bag and stand, then tucks me in. This won’t be happening for long though xx
    Last edited by Lynne K; 14 January 2022, 18:32.

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    It will work out in the end. Patience is something we can't afford the time for but we must.⌚😉 👆😊xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Lynne, you're having such a trying week, I'm sorry.

Ellie, my seat is deeper than the sound of yours.
    Perhaps it is, it's just an RR, or it maybe that I'm taller, who knows...

The strap that I was talking about is called a ‘chest strap’ but it goes around hips.
    Talk about confusing 🥴 Sometimes nearly have to sit into those hip slings, unless it really is for the chest 😏

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Ellie, my seat is deeper than the sound of yours. I have to use a cushion though so if that’s in the correct place and my legs touch the front of seat then I can sit correctly.
    The strap that I was talking about is called a ‘chest strap’ but it goes around hips.

Steve agreed to try the Return platform again as I can still weight bare. Xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    The strap slips up me.
    Can you explain which strap slips up where Lynne - does the sling not buckle and tighten to stop it moving?

My feet slip on the footplate and it doesn’t put me right back in my chair or wheelchair.
    The footplate on my hoist has anti-slip 'bubbles' and I always have to make sure that the hoist is pushed in as near to the chair as possible (the back of my legs need to touch the chair) so that I end up sitting right back in the seat.

Hopefully things will improve with practice - don't forget that the hoist feet widen so chair legs won't stop its path. xx

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Originally posted by Mary C View Post
    Hi Lynne k, I am struggling to with transfers.We sent equipment back today as I was unable to use it for various reasons.OT coming next week to discuss what else we can use.I can’t weightbear.My husband lifts me ( Not advisable) but in desperation no choice.Might now need a hoist of sorts.
    I do have a second carer most days ( family member)
    My ability to transfer went after I felt unwell and spent two days in bed…never got the strength back again.Things c an change quickly physically.
    Hope you get a hoist to suit you Lynne..you are having a rough time lately.
    Best wishes
    Maryxx
    Thanks Mary, yes going through the mill 😔, I think a normal hoist is better for positioning me in my seats, but I can still weight bare. I didn’t like the Return thing but getting on it was better. It’s the moving it on carpets that was harder as it had smaller wheels. The strap is better. I’m thinking of asking Steve to have another go with that.

I hope that you get sorted out quickly xx

Leave a comment:

Working...
X