• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barry52
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2012

Naidex Birmingham

Hi all,

I would like to report on my visit yesterday to this exhibition of disability aids. Firstly I have never seen so many people with disabilities of all types gathered in one place. I had my trusty walker and it was hard work dodging scooters and wheelchairs but the owners were very adept and it was the able bodied people who would step back and bump into you.

I went with the intention of reviewing small power wheelchairs to use in my house and also for traveling. Speaking of which there were several stands exhibiting holidays for people with disabilities. Some locations in the UK and others in France or Spain. All offered self contained units with wet rooms, profiling beds and hoists. If anyone wants some information then send me a pm.

It was so evident that technology is improving life for those of us with disabilities but we are a captive market and you need deep pockets. I met a man who was paralysed from the waist down and he was walking with robotic leg braces. I was impressed with the home aids to control the lights, doors and blinds that make independent living possible.

I include a photo of a very high tech scooter but at “Rolls Royce” price.

Barry6F92114E-9AF1-4E08-B3FF-A52103EFF6E0.jpg
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!
  • nunhead_man
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2017

Hi Barry,

I wish I had known about this as I would have come along myself.

I had a brief look at the website and made a note of the date next year, which seems to be 17 & 18
    March 2020

Best wishes

Andy
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Barry52
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2012

Hi Andy,

I got to know via an email which I guess came from data sharing with other exhibitors i.e. Motability and TGA scooters. It certainly promotes ideas about improving life with disabilities albeit they won’t be funded by social services or the NHS.

Best wishes,
      Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Kayleigh
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2018

Hi Barry,

I'm glad you enjoyed your day out at the Exhibition.

I like the sound of the robotic leg braces - but I expect they are extremely expensive and not very easy to source at the moment. I wonder if it is tiring to walk very far using the braces? - even though I probably can't get robotic leg braces, it might be that dashing around in my electric wheelchair would be much less tiring than using the braces, anyway.

It sounds like you had plenty of things to look at while you were at the Exhibition, and hopefully you were able to find some useful information in your quest to find a suitable powerchair. There are so many options to choose from these days, and I particularly like the look of the powerchairs with the seats that raise up and down - but perhaps there are even more high-tech powerchairs/wheelchairs becoming available soon?

Thank you for sharing your interesting experience of the Exhibition with us.

Love
        Kayleigh x

Comment

Working...
        X