Drinking Tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking Tea

evening all, I'm new to the forum and I am using my first post looking for recommendations.

what are my fellow MND people with weak hands and arms use for a good oold cuppa?

richcrocker A warm welcome to the forum Rich.

I drink my coffee through a straw, leaning into the mug on the table. xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

richcrocker hi Rich, welcome. I have very weak shoulders, elbows and wrists now. I can just about lift a clear plastic mug with two large handles. Good for small amounts of tea, coffee, wine, G&T…
      Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

Welcome richcrocker from me and all your new friends on this wonderful place. Here you will find help, advice and support. Take each day for what you can get out of it and don't look ahead too much. Sorry to see you but Happy you're here. Stay Strong. πŸ’ͺπŸ™πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜xx
        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

richcrocker Hi and welcome. I’ve progressed from huge mug to small thin china mug. I bought a two handled mug but it was as heavy as my favourite huge mug. I suppose the future holds plastic ☹️
          Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

My hands are not too bad so far, but as a precaution I put hot drinks in travel mugs - the sort of thing you put in the cup holders of your car (or WAV )
            These have lids which can minimise spills.
            Which brings me to another vital question - do they do cup holders for wheelchairs?
            In recent years I have been seeing cup holders on the back of baby buggies (with the drink safely away from the toddlers) which would have been so useful to us back in our early parenthood years (20+ years ago).
            Good coffee is now sold everywhere and designed to be taken anywhere, and I don't want to miss out when the wheelchair arrives.

Edit: Other beverages may also be considered
            Hi, I'm Eddie.
            Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
            Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

Originally posted by richcrocker View Post
              evening all, I'm new to the forum and I am using my first post looking for recommendations.

what are my fellow MND people with weak hands and arms use for a good oold cuppa?
              Welcome to the forum richcrocker I'm sure you'll have useful responses about the cuppa issue. I'm still managing a mug but know that soon will need something lighter. Look forward to reading your posts. πŸ˜‰
              Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by richcrocker View Post

Welcome Rich.’ I’m using a small plastic tumbler for my drinks but haven’t had tea for ages and don’t drink coffee, yuk. Good luck for one or other of the systems mentioned to work for you xx
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

thanks all, I take the mindset "there is always a way" with all the challenges of this illness (or inconvenience as I like to call it)

I'm currently using a take away style cup with a silicone lid. The lack of handles is starting to be a problem and leads to tea on my tshirt!

Comment

Stephen can just about use some fingers on his left hand. He wont use a plastic mug or a two handled mug because hes rebelling against anything different. He prefers a cup with a small handle because he has more control over the cup. He has used a straw but found it deteriorated quite quickly when used for hot drinks. Probably because it was a paper straw and not plastic. Tried a travel mug, which we always used when travelling, but he doesn't like that says coffee doesn't taste the same.
                    paper cups, takeaway coffee, a nightmare so need to keep a cup in the car. But that is a good idea why isnt there a cup holder on a wheelchair? Stephen would like a fag holder as well and an ash tray!! πŸ™„
                    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

I managed to find some two handled pot mugs, although not as big as an ordinary mug, Albert doesn't want to drink tea or beer from plastic but I thinks its not far off, at the moment he's happy with the mugs I found on line,
                      Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Hi Rich,

From reading the above I do exactly the same as Ellie πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

I would advise ordering plastic straws off the Internet (they’re not readily available in the shops anymore) as they tend to taste better in hot drinks. For cold drinks you can buy silicon straws which are washable and cut down on waste but these can give off a funny taste with hot liquids.

take care, James
                        Foxes Never Quit πŸ’™

Comment

WheelsOfSteel cup holders forwheelchsirs are available denise
                          Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Oops....pressed post before I'd finished typing!
                            If you Google wheelchair cup holders you'll get some results.
                            Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

richcrocker I find I have to rest my elbows on a table to lift a full mug of tea. The table gives stability and allows me to control my hand movement. I have to use two hands when the cup is full (one on the handle & one underneath to supporting the weight). I also use an insulated travel cup, as it has a really big handle.

Comment

Working...
                              X