• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Wider wheelchair wheels?

My PT has obtained a wheelchair for me - perhaps a bit earlier than necessary, but I thought I should be prepared and explore its potential.

It works fine on hard surfaces inside and out, and on firm flat lawn. But over longer grass and uneven ground it's pretty useless. The wheels, which are conventional ones - like bicycle wheels, dig in and stop.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get wider wheels and tyres that would spread the load and hopefully roll over rougher ground?

Thanks!

Doug
    Diagnosed April 2017
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Which chair is it mate?

Are all the wheels puny, even the rear ones?

There are all terrain chairs but I suspect you'd be lucky to have one supplied!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Doug;

I can only think of grafting a extra wheel alone the side of the other but that would quite hard and the hand grips would be difficult. The other idea is to let some air out of the tires, but they probably are semi solid type.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
        Forum Member
        • May 2017

Yes, sorry, Ellie. It's an Invacare Action 2 NG

It's what I think of as a conventional self-propelled wheelchair - big wheels at the back, small swivel wheels at the front. Mine has anti-tipping extensions at the rear.

Terry - yes the tyres are solid I believe.

I'll have a search for all terrain chairs and maybe talk to my PT who seems to be able to get hold of most things for me.

Doug
        Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Sorry Doug, I wrongly thought we were talking about powerchairs, not manual ones!

I suspect you'll have to use every bit of your legendary charm to get an All Terrain chair provided, or even a more rugged one - they tend not to offer much upper body support if that's an issue for you.

Love Ellie.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
            Forum Member
            • May 2017

No problem Ellie. I wasn't clear in the first place.

No, I've not joined the MND Formula One team yet!

But just being prompted to search for all terrain chairs has been helpful, e.g. https://ablemagazine.co.uk/terrain-w...s-wild-things/

There clearly are machines with bulkier tyres - and many different designs. But, as you say, very expensive. At the moment I've got almost normal upper body and arm strength so I feel I could propel myself. But how long this will last is anybody's guess and a high tech machine may not be a good investment.

Alternatively, If anyone knows of a team of huskies needing a home I'd be grateful for their email!

Doug
            Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

If you had a day out planned, or a mini-break, you could hire one and see how it goes.

There are often second hand 'preloved' chairs for sale and you might pick up an all terrain one or even a sport one may do you.

Our dog is far removed from a huskie but dangle a lump of cheese in front of her and she'll give it a go

Love Ellie.

Comment

• Catsparkle
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2018

Ive found this, I'm wondering if i could use it as an attendant chair as my arms have gone first. https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-wc01...ed-wheelchair/
                Im struggling to get round festivals and fields and cobbles..or at least my family are...

Comment

• Terry
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2012

They look a little wider and more grippe, CS;

And if they are air filled you could let them down a little to get more grip.

Love Terry
                  TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Catsparkle
                    Forum Member
                    • Jun 2018

Aha, another excellent point! You are on absolutely top form, thankyou! x

Comment

Working...
                    X