X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kayleigh
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2018

Many thanks for the detailed information Barry - you are, as always, my Knight in shining armour!

Love
    Kayleigh x

Comment

• JimWright
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2018

Thank you, is in hand just waiting for them to contact me.

Comment

• Gillette
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

I have been chatting with Richard Cave of MNDA this afternoon. We discussed the merits of ModelTalker and Acapela. He said that MNDA fund both systems. He also confirmed that only 350 sentences have to be recorded.

Whilst on the phone he helped me to register and set up Acapela.

If you are thinking of using Acapela, I would suggest you contact him so that he can advise you on what to type in your registration application.

Richard's contact details are:
        tel: 07898 721278
        Email: [email protected]
        Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Thanks Dina.

Did Richard confirm that the MNDA fund the cost to download / purchase of my-own-voice or just the App?

It's great you can do voice banking and 350 sentences is a lot better than 1500!

Good luck with it.

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Kayleigh
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2018

Thanks for the update Dina. I hope everything goes smoothly when you record your phrases.

Love and best wishes,
            Kayleigh x
            Last edited by Kayleigh; 2 May 2019, 20:18.

Comment

• Lynne K
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2017

Hi Dina. Was Acapela chosen for you solely because only just 350 phrases are needed or was it considered better sounding? Good luck with your recording. Thanks, Lynne
              ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Gillette
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2019

Hi Lynne,

I was the one who chose to use Acapela after discussing them both with Richard. He did say that I could use both, if I wanted to, and that MNDA would fund both of them.
                Dina

Comment

• Gillette
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  Did Richard confirm that the MNDA fund the cost to download / purchase of my-own-voice or just the App?

Love Ellie.
                  Hi Ellie,

He said that there was nothing to pay until you want to download your voice. When I asked how much it costs he said that MNDA would pay it.

Sorry, but I don't know which app you are talking about. Acapela is not an app, it is downloaded from their website.
                  Dina

Comment

• nunhead_man
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2017

Hi Dina,

The voice that gets created for you is separate from where it gets used.

So the voice you create could, for example, be used to announce trains at your local railway station or speak out the guidance on your GPS in your car.

Once you have your voice you then have to have something to use it with, for example, turning text that you type into speech that sounds like you or controlling the lighting and heating in your home - text-to-speech, speech to say Alexa, Alexa turns on the lights.

That can be done by simply as loading it into an iPad and using the native software that turns voice into speech.

Does that help?

Warmly

Andy
                    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Gillette
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2019

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the explanation. I'm afraid I was only really taking notice of the info about recording my voice. A combination of a protracted period of fatigue together with a seemingly endless stream of appointments and telephone calls with healthcare professionals has brought to a place where I only really concentrate on the here and now.
                      Dina

Comment

• Ellie
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2012

Hi Dina,

An App is needed if you want to use your banked Acapela voice on an iPad.

It's great to hear the MNDA will pay for your voice download, it costs over £2000 !!

Well done MNDA !

Love Ellie.
                        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• nunhead_man
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2017

Hi Ellie

Shows how much I know about iPads!

Warmly

Andy
                          Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Gillette
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2019

Hi Dina,

It's great to hear the MNDA will pay for your voice download, it costs over £2000 !!

Well done MNDA !

Love Ellie.
                            Oh gosh, I hope I haven't misunderstood or misconstrued what Richard said!
                            Dina

Comment

• Kayleigh
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2018

Hi Dina,

If I was you, I would send an e-mail to Richard to ask for clarification of what the Mnda will pay for.

Sorry if I sound like a Little Miss Bossy Boots!!!, - but it would be such a shame If you go to the trouble of recording all those phrases, only to find out that when you are ready to download them the Mnda doesn't cover the cost.

Love Kayleigh xx

Comment

• Terry
                                Forum Member
                                • May 2012

I think that the Mnda pay what I said earlier for the down loading of your voice and that's a lot lot less than that figure
                                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X