NIV mask sore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NIV mask sore

Hi. I’m sure this has been brought up before and I’ve tried searching but …….. I’ve developed a sore on the bridge of my nose from using my NIV mask overnight. I know we are always being warned of the dangers of sores etc so am worried about it developing. It’s very sore and I put a plaster over it to cushion it but that’s hardly a long term solution. Any ideas anyone? Xx

Could you ask for a different NIV mask? I have a ResMed F30, which comfortably sits under my nose. Have a look online.
    Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

Ask for a mask which stops at your nostrils, such as the Amara View or the DreamWear full face mask, both by Philips Respironics, or ResMed F30 - they are called 'full face' because they cover your mouth and nostrils. I have the AmaraView and find it ultra comfy 👍👍👍

Photo of the AmaraView. The DreamWear is very similar except the air comes through the head gear, rather than through a hose attached to the front of the mask.

Amara View.jpg

There are also nostril only masks which aren't suitable for everyone, but may be for you.

Even using creams and plasters on the bridge of the nose, some people will always have some degree of unnecessary discomfort from those style masks. xx
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I have that problem too Sarahw my respiratory consultant gave me the Dream Wear mask. However I'm not keen on it as the tube sits on top of my head.

I'd rather try the Amara View [email protected] thanks for the info and photo...will request.
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’m going to approach my hospital armed with alternatives. See if they’ll stump up! Xx

Comment

Originally posted by Sarahw View Post
            I’m going to approach my hospital armed with alternatives.
            Sarah, perhaps take a photo of the sore too and add it to your arsenal. Mention that you've got to the stage where using NIV all night is impossible and you're feeling the effects of it. 🤞🤞
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
            X