• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Many, many thanks Dina

I'm extremely grateful for the heads up about the eye test. It would not have occurred to me one was necessary. My eyes are fine and change little now from year to year. But a test is overdue because I put it in the not important pile!

I'll make an appointment.

Thanks again!

Doug
    Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2012

I think that's just hilarious that you've to do a driving test in a powerchair but possibly sensible too. Kind of doesn't make sense if you can buy a powerchair and head off into the sunset though without the same restrictions though.

Anyhow, here Specsavers do eye tests in the home, which is really handy, so maybe they also do them in the UK?

Doug, whichever chair you get, make sure it's the agreed MND Neurochair Spec (as Helen also stressed) as it is a tailored and better spec than the standard Salsa Mini or XTR2.

I've an XTR2 and find it handles the rougher ground pretty well - I wouldn't go climbing mountains in it but forest trails are fine!

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Kayleigh
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2018

Thank you Dina and Lynne, for kindly sharing information about what might be required of us if we accept a powerchair from wheelchair services.

I am wondering what happens if someone fails the driving test and/or doesn't want to be dictated to about when they should have an eye test. Do they confiscate the chair unless you promise not to use it outside/on the road and, if so, how would any restrictions be enforced - perhaps there is some sort of tracker on the chair so that wheelchair services can monitor exactly where it is being used? LOL.

Perhaps not all local wheelchair services require tests to be taken - as I think each local service is a seperate entity and is allowed to set it's own rules?

Love Kayleigh x
        Last edited by Kayleigh; 27 June 2019, 15:34.

Comment

• Lynne K
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2017

Hi Kayleigh. You might be right about different rules in different areas. Our wheelchair service is more particular about vision than when people go for a driving test. They only have to read a licence plate number and letters out at the regulation distance. Our service send out a letter that has to be signed by the person who did your eye test. I gave them such a letter 18 months ago but they want another. I took it to Specsavers and pick it up sith my new glasses next Wednesday. If you were ro fail their outside wheelchair test I'd guess that they'd give you advice and re-test soon after and keep doing that until you get it. I don't expect any issues, since I was a Driving Instructor up to last year. Lynne
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Hi Chimp,

I am afraid that people buying a wheelchair or a eight mph scooter do not have any tests.

Only if you get a free chair from the wheelchair services do you need to take a test to use it out in public places.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

Thanks TC.

Do you then get some sort of a licence or cert to prove you're competent?
              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Kayleigh
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2018

I can understand how it is sensible and helpful for us to be shown how to use a powerchair - but to have to be observed for approx 15 minutes outside in a 'test' situation would not be everyone's cup of tea and could put many people off getting a powerchair from wheelchair services (especially if they want to use one outside without the stress and pressure of having to pass a test first!).

In my opinion, MND patients have got enough to deal with without having to jump through additional and unnecessary testing hoops - and as we all know, wheelchair services already have strict rules about who qualifies for a powerchair in the first place!

If someone doesn't want to do the driving test, would wheelchair services stop them from having one of their powerchairs? If they were provided with the chair (with restrictions about where they could use it) how could wheelchair services realistically enforce any restrictions anyway?

Just my thoughts
                Kayleigh x

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Yes Kayleigh, agree totally - it could be offputting to some people.

And it's obvs not a law, so how can it be enforced??

Love Ellie.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2017

Thanks Terry.

I must say I was a bit puzzled, but it makes sense.

Thanks Ellie - yes I'll make sure I stress the neuro spec. If an when I get this machine, I'll get an extra large set of L-plates!

Doug
                    Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Lynne K
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2017

I don't know why. I didn't know that it was a test indoors. He just asked me to drive from our front room to our kitchen. That was in our other house that wasn't adapted. It was really hard to get through the regular sized doors but I did it by going at a snails pace. Then he jumped in front of me. I got such a shock and stopped the chair by letting go of the joystick. He smiled widely as I said 'what are you doing (thinking that he must be stupid to jump in front of a moving wheelchair). Still smiling he said' you've passed ' and explained. They want to make sure that you are safe and you don't pose a danger to others. I'm not at all worried about the outdoor test. Bring it on. It' ll be a challenge to find enough dropped kerbs though. Lynne
                      Last edited by Lynne K; 27 June 2019, 16:49.
                      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Terry
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2012

Hi Kayleigh;

They got the wheelchair in for me and got it fitting me first, then I had a drive around in the place and they got me to do some indoor driving through doors and backing etc. They are there to help you. We then took it home as we already had a WAV but I guess that they would deliver it otherwise. I was told not to go on the road or pathways with it and drive it indoors for a couple of weeks and they would arrange a outside assessment for me.

I then went back with the wheelchair and did a drive around paths, crossing roads and going into a shops etc. I didn't find it difficult at all, (being a man, LOL) but they are there to help and advise you if needed. There objective is to make sure you're safe, so if you feel that something is not safe don't do it and ask them. Don't worry, there's no three point turns, sorry Lynne, that's turning in the road by going forward and reversing.

No certificate at the end I'm afraid Ellie.

I think that the assessment is good because it would be easy to hurt yourself or others. They are there to guide you and I guess if you fail to be safe they will redo it again in a few weeks and ask you to practice at home.

"If they were provided with the chair (with restrictions about where they could use it) how could wheelchair services realistically enforce any restrictions anyway? "

I guess that if you are not deemed as safe outside and then use it against there advice, being a danger to yourself and others, then they would have a duty to take it away.

love Terry
                        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2018

Hi Terry

I don't like driving tests of any sort - but I expect that Lynne will pass her test with top marks (especially as she used to be a driving instructor!)

Love Kayleigh x
                          Last edited by Kayleigh; 27 June 2019, 19:36.

Comment

• Gillette
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2019

When Wheelchair Services first spoke about going outside in the chair it sounded as though I was going to be given some sort of instruction. I still thought that when we went outside so I was stunned that the test began as soon as I exited the house! It was a very laid back test, I didn't feel any particular pressure and, believe me, I certainly felt stressed when I took each of my car driving tests. Nerves got to me each time!

I was baffled that there wasn't any instruction but I believe the "test" is as much for the wheelchair user's benefit as anything. On the way back to our house, I chose to take a different route but came up to a very steep dropped kerb. I just said I didn't fancy attempting it and turned away.
                            Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Deb
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2018

This has really made me laugh... I have visions of all these powerchairs with L plates on, with people trying to convert their provisional liscences. As if there isnt enough to worry about !

When I got mine they asked me to drive around the hospital and grounds and in and out of the car. To be honest I could have done without an audience because the chair takes a little getting used to but it was fine.

My lovely husband who is only ever sexist when it comes to driving ( In the past I have been known to storm off when he has tried to tell me how to park ) asked if there was insurance if I hit someone !! Unfortunately i am unable to storm off dramatically in a huff now but i can still give a mean dirty look . I can drive it much better than him now as he always bumps when he moves it.

Seriously, my Salsa mini 2 is really easy to drive and manoeuvre and I love the tilt on it but it does take a while to get used to it.

Happy driving,
                              Love Debbie x

Comment

• Sheila
                                Forum Member
                                • Feb 2019

Hi All,
                                I am meant to be getting one of these powered wheelchairs in about 3 weeks time. I was never told about any tests. I said I will be only using it indoors. Reading all your comments has made me think and a little worried.

Comment

Working...
                                X