Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had Disabled Facilities Grant means test result...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had Disabled Facilities Grant means test result...

... and I am somewhat shocked to find that Cambridgeshire Housing Improvement Agency think that we are able to finance all of the adaptations we need, up to the current tune of over £12k, without any financial assistance whatsoever.

So as of next week I will have my powerchair delivered but will be unable to take it out of the house as I do not have a level access front door. If I can't get out of the house, I can't get to work...

If I was on benefits then I would have to make no contribution to the adaptations - what's that all about???

I am now waiting to find out how to appeal.

Rant over ... for now!

It's just the way some things go. Fair or not? They might still fund small projects up to a £1000. OT's might get you temporary ramps to get in an out of places.

Just because this is means tested does not mean everything is.

I'm in the same boat, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

We couldn't get any help with adaptations until my husband actually left work - they kept telling us we could take out a loan to pay for it! When we kept telling them we wouldn't be able to pay it back due to the fact that he would have to leave work eventually they still didn't give us any help until he'd taken early retirement. We still had to pay the majority of it ourselves using his pension - you can't win.

Comment

Be careful about early retirement. I took phased retirement to release funds to pay for Peter's adaptations only to find that they ignored my wage but took all of the pension into effect. This was the carers' assessment. Building grant assessment did not allow us any help because we had savings. At sixty the government expect and encourage us to pay but it is hard when you have to spend the bulk of it on adaptations still a time in your life when you do not have the time to build the savings back up. I was pretty cross for a while but could not do anything about it.

Magiv

Comment

Early retirement isn't an option for me yet as I am only 51 and don't have enough pension provision to give me enough income. Hubbie and I have worked hard all our working life but do not have high-paying jobs and certainly don't have a pot of savings to dip into.

Hubby has T1 diabetes and with eyesight complications is unlikely to work to retirement age. And we have a 12 year old who is also Type 1!

How someone can arbitrarily decide we can afford to take out a 10 year loan is beyond me.

Anyway, I am doing something positive - I have contacted a couple of builders to price up a level access front door and ramp so at least I am able to get in and out of the house independently with my power chair and so can continue working. That will just about wipe out our savings and the wet room adaptation will have to wait until we can find some funding from somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
          X