No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    Hello everyone
    I'm looking for advice my mam has just put in for esa had she has finished work now , she has had payments going in her bank but no letter to say the amount & if its weekly monthly etc
    But had a letter for her to send sick papers in or she won't get paid so I've just come back from Drs with her & dr will only give her a sick paper for 3 months I thought they would give a longer paper with someone who has mnd
    I thought she might have a sick paper for life if they do these ?
    I really don't know but I know it has tired her out going down at 7.45 this morning to queue to make sure she can get to see the dr
    Can someone explain to me is this normal for a dr to give a 3 month paper or should she ask the dr when she goes to mnd clinic next month if they can do something about this
    Thank you

    Hi Nightowl;

    I don't know much about the subject and don't want to confuse things but there seems to be a good web site:-

    It is quite often better to get her specialist to fill things in, instead of her doctor.

    I have a special arrangement with my doctor's because it's hard for me to get booked in and ready for an appointment without knowing a day before hand. They should do something similar with your mum, either try to sort out something like that where she can arrange an appointment a day before or mention that a home visit might be more appropriate. Use the Mnda to explain our problems (apply pressure) if needed.

    The Mnda have quite good "Information Sheets" on things like that and you can ring Mnda connect for individual advice.

    I guess others here have first hand information but I don't.

    Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

    It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

    Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.


      Thank you very much for your reply


        Hi Nightowl

        Steve had to send in sick notes every three months until he was put into a support group, which is for those that can't return to work. After the first one we were able to just phone the Gp and order one over the telephone.



          Not diagnosed but fingers all pointing in direction of mnd- my GP said longest he could sign me off for was 6 months so that's what he did. X


            Originally posted by Lookingforhelp View Post
            Not diagnosed but fingers all pointing in direction of mnd- my GP said longest he could sign me off for was 6 months so that's what he did. X
            You are entitled to 28 weeks SSP then you should be able to go onto ESA. That is the information that we were given when my wife was diagnosed. Anything will help if you are then going through the rigmarole of PIP. All the best to you


              Thanks sueb
              I hope mam gets into the support group and can just phone gp for paper over the phone


                Hi Nightowl,

                See if your mum's GP or neurologist will issue a DS1500. This cuts through all the red tape on benefits.

                I’m going to do this even if it kills me!