No announcement yet.

What can I claim other than PiP

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bowler
    Council Tax Reduction.
    Disability reduction scheme

    You may be able to get a reduction in council tax under the disability reduction scheme if anyone resident in the property (adult or child) is ‘substantially and permanently disabled’.

    In addition, one of the following conditions has to be met:
    • there is an additional bathroom or kitchen in the property which is needed by the disabled person
    • there is a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) needed by and mainly used by the disabled person
    • there is enough space in the property for the disabled person to use a wheelchair indoors

    There is no general test of who is considered ‘substantially and permanently disabled’. However, if a person is registered as disabled with their local council, this should be enough to satisfy this condition (although this does not mean that someone who is not on the register would not fit this condition). It could also help to provide supporting evidence from your GP/consultant.

    Cases have clarified that if an extra room is required it means that it is additional, ie it would not be required for the relevant purpose if the person were not disabled.

    A disability reduction will mean that the council tax bill is reduced to the amount payable for a home in the valuation band below yours. If you are in the lowest band already (Band A) you get a reduction of one sixth of the bill.

    Leave a comment:

  • Bowler
    Carers allowance. Not available if the carer is in receipt of state pension. It’s also taxable.

    How it works

    You could get £67.25 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

    You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

    You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

    If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

    Leave a comment:

  • Shaun
    started a topic What can I claim other than PiP

    What can I claim other than PiP

    Hello all
    thought I would start a new post that others can add to for those other bits you may be entitled to, there has been a few new members recently as well which might help them navigate through their and make life a little easier for all
    No PIP please as there is enough on here about that subject.
    i will start
    1. Warm home discount
    This is not the winter fuel allowance but it’s worth £140 and deducted directly from your gas/electric bill,
    not all service providers have signed up to this, British Gas are. There is certain criteria to be met, you may have to search your providers website to find the application form, or call them. At the same time get on their priority list, so if they are planning any work they should make you aware and try to work around (planned work only)
    Check with your water supplier as well , they also have a priority list

    2. Blue Badge
    you do not need PiP for this, apply completing the form as you would for PIP - worse day scenario, if your council have signed up to the MND charter you won’t probably won’t even need GP involvement, (I didn’t, and haven’t got Pip ... yet) but if they are I’m sure they would agree anyway

    3 Sky
    get on the priority list,
    they can’t do a lot , but I got a free disabled friendly remote, I couldn’t use the new skyQ remote.

    4, clinical extremely vulnerable
    for those of us during the first lockdown we were put on the CEV list,
    The government have changed the definition, again , MS &MND are not now automatically on it,
    they haven’t removed us either, most of us have received the stay at home text today.
    But for our new members speak to your GP / health team:

    To self register go to

    The best advantage ; priority on line shopping slots

    5. Grants
    loads of info on the MNDA website

    6. Access to work
    We are covered by the disability discrimination act
    for help, advice and maybe grants look at

    sorry this went on a bit, anybody else got useful unpublicised tips?