car tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car tax

my husband has received his attendance allowance. what i cant figure out is does he get a free or reduced car tax? does anyone know because i was sure i saw it somewhere but now i cant.
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Is this what you're looking for? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

hi ellie ive looked at that but it doesnt use the word attendance allowance. it doesnt look like we fit into that category. i cant believe as we dont get help with much else we dont at least get that. if i look up attendance allowance it looks like taxi fairs, rail fare or bus. this seems like age discrimination to me. this doesnt even seem like its for someone who is disabled just unable to look after themselves.

Comment

denise you could give the MNDA advice line a call? Rather than chasing round...I now let other do that. 😘😘
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Having the classification attendance allowance doesn't even get you a blue badge. Have to go down the terminal illness route.

Comment

Hello Denise
            attendance allowance is to pay for extra costs due to disability, it does not cover mobility needs

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:S.

I should add as you get attendance allowance ​​​​which is only given once you have reached state pension age and PIP has to be given before state pension age, so you are not entitled to it.
            Time to by an electric car - zero emissions, no road tax
            Last edited by Shaun; 15 September 2021, 19:13. Reason: Additional info
            As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Denise
              the blue badge scheme is run by your council, it’s a very simple form , may need GP to sign off but your council will sort that out, depends on the council and how well you fill the form in . It has nothing to do with terminal illness. Anybody can apply.
              it’s probably the easiest thing to get
              Please try not to make problems that aren’t there, there’s enough of that already

by the way you have to pay a whole £10 for 3 years
              https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge
              s
              As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Hi Denise, it looks to me as if free or reduced car tax isn’t available to someone receiving Attendance Allowance. Worth checking with the MNDA benefits team, but the Gov website is clear and doesn’t often have errors. Very sorry about that, if one is ‘lucky’ enough to be able to be awarded PIP before state pension age, it’s a different story. That does sound unfair.
                Diagnosed October 2020 - See my blog at https://www.myneurodiary.com

Comment

Thanks Shaun but I'm hardly trying to make problems I'm just trying to sove them and yes Peter pan its very unfair. My husband is 70, mnd and dementia but no help with mobility. I'm just supposed to get him on public transport.

Comment

Hi Denise,
                    you can still apply for a blue badge though( not sure you have a car at present).
                    Peter Pan is spot on even though it seems unfair,
                    The Attendance allowance has care and mobility components hence Stephen got the highest rate.
                    Can you use volunteer drivers when you need to.?maybe worth ringing Age Concern to see if the run volunteer driver scheme.
                    Is it worth getting MND association to do a benefit check?

I got a council tax reduction too as one bedroom is used for my through floor lift.
                    You must be under tremendous pressure after moving country as well as sorting out where your help will come from.
                    Take care
                    Mary

Comment

Do you really need a car? Where do you go in it?
                      Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

It's quicker than waiting for public transport. I could wait for a bus but he can't walk and stand.I can't leave Stephen I have no one to look after him. My son came from ipswich so I could attend the local surgery. I have an opportunity to go for breast screening but same problem. Just going to local shop is an ordeal just hoping he will stay put. The other day he got all anxious and went down the stairs. After 2 falls an 2 ambulance call outs I don't want that again. Thank goodness he couldn't open the front door. As yet we don't have a wheelchair so I can't take him with me but the pavements here are such a mess it will be an ordeal even if we do have one. If I did get him to a bus stop it's not definite we would get on because they only allow so many wheelchairs and pushchairs.

A car means I can get him out for now. We have old friends and family but they are not close by. We've been indoors for 7-8 weeks and before that in Portugal a few trips to the supermarket and hospital. It was before October that we really went out. I just want to let him enjoy life before getting him out becomes too much of an ordeal. Then of course who knows if shut down looms again.

Comment

Have you tried online shopping? Home visits?
                          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

denise check out your local authority for taxi card schemes - not free but heavily subsidised. Also dial-a-ride....if it exists in your area? Which local authority are you?
                            Good luck it's very frustrating for you🤗
                            Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Hi Denise,
                              there is a befriending service in Plymouth know as Elder Tree befriending service.Would Stephen be interested / agreeable to a befriender whilst you need to go out?

Also Access Plymouth has some transport info on their website.

There Will be a carers association in the area or you can request a carers assessment from your local Authority social care department( They can discuss such arrangements as daycare, respite care if you need regular breaks and Stephen would benefit from days out too).

Age uk in Plymouth run a day centre for people with dementia 5 days a week.( They offer informal visits too)

I guess there are things around your area Denise that might ease your situation .Information on line .

Hope you get some support soon
                              Best wishes
                              Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X