No announcement yet.

employment rights

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    employment rights

    Having been diagnosed: eight months ago I've been continuing to work reduced hours. My employers have been absolutely terrible offering no assessment or help and demoting me from my senior management position without any consultation and without my agreement. Having gone through an internal grievance procedure which was a farce with judge and jury being the same person I am now having to consider going to an employment tribunal. I was wondering whether anybody could recommend a specialist disability and employment lawyer in the West Country?

    Hi dill,

    I would speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. I know it can be very difficult getting an appointment because they are always busy, but do persevere, and in any case, a visit to their offices should enable you to get the details of an empoyment lawyer in your location.

    Also speak to MND Connect because you can't be the first and won't be the last to experience difficulties with employers, and Connect may have relevant information for you.

    You can call them on 08457 626262 or email [email protected]. They are available from 9am to 5pm and 7pm to 10.30pm Mondays to Fridays. Calls are charged at local rate.

    Looking further ahead, take a look at this page on the website. It has helpful info about claiming employment support allowance, and other related benefits are listed on links from the same page.

    Best wishes,

    ". . . I'll be b-b-back!"


      Hi dill, I am so sorry to hear how badly your employers have treated you. Just a thought, (which you probably have already considered), but are you in a Trade Union or Professional Association? If not, perhaps you could join and see if they can help you. Hope you get a good result.


        yep in my case United the Union be very helpful and cost £12 a month its not bad. now i agree its great idea to be members of some Union.


          Hi dill,

          Sorry to hear your story, but it sounds very familiar , At the end of the day it really boils down to how much your condition has affected your working ability, to fill your role at work, only you can answer that , if you feel that you are capable of doing all that is needed, then you have a case, but as it was in mine ,I could no longer do what I was being paid to do , It's harsh and not very nice, but most employers only want you when you make money for them , not their. Fault so to speak, having said that you have right under the disability act ,so go for it 'just be prepared for the endless written aspect ,I do wish you all the luck, for me it ended with redundancy on ill health grounds ,whatever happens just remember your rights are there it's getting someone to enforce it ,Good luck



            Hi Dill,

            My situation after diagnoses was a little different,my consultant advised me not to carry on working,to avoid injury to me or others,
            however although their case against you may or may not of been correct or just, if the disiplinary process was not carried out correctly as you suggest,then a case against could be called.

            wishing you a positive outcome.



              I am an sufferer but also an ex HR Director. Although you feel appalled by your treatment as Pete states it depends on whether you can still perform your duties. If you can you may have a case although I will warn you tribunals are costly and time consuming with the average payout only £3k!! Are they a big firm? Do they provide critical illness insrance?


                Hi Dill;
                I was just revising some of the Mnda advice leaflets and came across this contact. It may help, I hope it does, Terry
                Disability Law Service
                Assistance on disability law.
                Disability Law Service, 39-45 Cavell Street, London, E1 2BP
                Telephone: 020 7791 9800
                Email: [email protected]
                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

                It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

                Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.



                  Have you approached Access to Work via Job centre to conduct a work based assessment and compile a report, which can be used in any tribunal if reasonable adjustments aren't implimented (thats my understanding) above all its free and costs a phone call.
                  sorry I can't recommend any other advice but its worth a call certainly helped me.


                    Thanks for all your advice as well as the warnings. I will keep you all posted. Dill