PIP v DLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIP v DLA

Is PIP (the replacement for DLA) a good thing?

When I applied for DLA I had no idea as to what I would be awarded. Sometime after my award I was told I was on the wrong rate and should apply again. I filled in a few forms and received the correct rate. With PIP there are clear criteria which I either satisfy or not.
    The only disadvantage of PIP v DLA seems to be that I will need to attend an interview. Any other disadvantages quoted for PIP applied to DLA also.

I realise that one goal of PIP is to reduce the cost of this benefit but I think that most people living with MND will easily satisfy the criteria and be nowhere near the boundary and so not impacted.

What do others think?

In one word DS1500

See your GP or consultant and ask for a DS1500

Atos the allocated organisation, which incidently are told to get everyone off PIP are not the people who want to hand you any money regardless of your disability. However, a DS1500 will negate the need to fill in all the form and give you maximum of both elements mobility and care.
    I would recommend that you google Disability rights handbook 2013
    http://www.radar-shop.org.uk/Detail.aspx?id=62
    go to the link its worth the money and basically tells you all the benefits and criteria and how to claim, appeal etc.
    PIP is a point score system and you need to score max. points e.g. can you pick a pound coin,
    PIP does not start until April 13, however, those on DLA, will in time have to change over to PIP and will mean being reassessed.
    If you are over 65 you cannot claim DLA, or that is my understanding.
    I hope this helps you
    Scott

Comment

What is DLA reform

The reform of disability living allowance (DLA) will mean that DLA will be replaced by a personal independence payment (PIP) for those of working age from April 2013.

As yet there are no plans to extend PIP to children under 16 or claimants who are over 65. However migration from DLA may apply to these groups at a later date.

Part 4 of the Welfare Reform Act covers the introductuction of PIP. The PIP regulations are available at http://tinyurl.com/bvysvwn.
      Where can I find out more?

Disability Rights UK has produced Factsheet F60 - personal independence payments which gives a basic introduction to the personal independence payment (PIP) based on the Act and the regulations.

We have produced an impact assessment of the abolition of working age disability living allowance which indicates that the abolition of working age DLA will lead to higher NHS and social care costs as well as causing thousands of disabled people to become unemployed.
      Background

On 22 June 2010 it was announced in the Emergency Budget that the Government would reform disability living allowance (DLA) and introduce an ‘objective medical assessment’ for all claimants from 2013-14

In December the DWP published a consultation document on the reform of DLA which sought views on the Government‘s proposals to replace working age DLA with a new benefit – Personal Independence Payment. The closing date for responses to the consultation was 18th February 2011.

Disability Rights UK responded to this consultation. You can view this at www.disabilityrightsuk.org/endofalifeline.htm.

Prior to closure of the consultation the Welfare Reform Bill was introduced on 17 February 2011.
      Government response to the Welfare Reform Consultation

On 4 April 2011 the Government published its response to the DLA reform consultation. The response maintains the Government committment to the introduction of personal independence payments for working age claimants.

Comment

Has anyone looked at the criteria for PIP and found they will be worse off?
        My view is that there is a lot of scaremongering going on about the change to PIP.

I don't think the role of DS1500 will change going from DLA to PIP but I'm still happy that I don't satisfy its harse requirements.

Comment

Hi all, I have applied for PIP after being diagnosed in July and was assessed in Aug but heard nothing since and unable to get through on the phone,I need to get PIP in place so I can get carer's allowance for my wife,it's alright saying it will be backdated but i have no income other than my works pension coming in and with this disease it does not come cheap.

rustygates

Comment

Hi Rusty;
            Don't know much about it but Information Sheet 22A Benefits and Entitlements says:-

If successful, your claim will be backdated to the date you started the claim (but not to the date you were
            diagnosed or the problems started).

There are other things in the sheet that might help you.

I hope it comes through soon, Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

I made my claim in September 2013, but as of today I am still waiting for the DWP to decide on my claim.

Comment

I don't claim anything at the moment but wll have to start the ball rolling soon, I am retired and receive my state pension plus personnal pension so I think this discounts PIP or DLA or any other allowance except possibly attendance allowance, maybe carers allowance if my wifes income is low enough. Is there anything else I can claim for like mobility allowance?

Comment

Hi Peter;

A lot depends on your age but it may well be that you won't get the Mobility allowance bit. There are three advisory information sheets on the main web site to do with finance.

Attendance, carers, council tax reduction should be possible.

Contact Mnda connect if you have problems.

Regards Terry
                  TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Peter,

DLA isn't affected by what you earn or have saved , only the level of your disability so I would apply sooner rather than later ,some things have age restrictions on them ,It may well be worth having a chat with MNDA helpline or CAB just to make certain what's the best way to get what your entitled to,like so many things now you tend to have to shout a lot to get any attention and the right advice is vital .

Pete

Comment

Thanks Terry & Pete for your advice I have tried the gov website for online DLA and it keeps leading me to fill out the PIP criteria for for 16-64 year olds

Thanks again

Peter

Comment

DLA or PIP is for under 65's only I believe, once you're 65 or over the equivalent is Attendance Allowance. That's what I had to apply for for Dad.

Comment

BroxiebAR,

I made my claim on 7 August and I finally got approval and backdated PIP on 29th January this year so don't give up.
                          The stupid thing is that I submitted the form in late August but by now I have deteriorated even more to the point that when I rung them on 20th January they couldn't understand what I way saying at all! None of this is my/our fault.

Comment

Cookewitch I agree with you, but it can't do any harm to apply for DLA/PIP, they can only say no can't they

Thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                            X