Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage benefits

Hi,

Not to sound unrommantic but does anyone know if there are any financial benefits of getting married? I'm thinking mainly post errr the end.

My partner and i have been together 18 years, have 2 kids, joint mortgage etc

While we always planned to get married, ever time it came to a choice between getting married or going holiday the later won. And then the kids came along and disposable income went out the window.

But now I want to make life as easy as possible for her and make sure she gets everything she should.

So is it worth getting a low key marriage arranged?

With a final salary defined benefit pension, yes - as it's easier for the pension discretionary lump sum on death and spouse pension to be paid out.

(I'm divorced 25+ years and been either a hermit, or in less conventional relationships since, but recently reviewed the occupational pension criteria for relevance).

Civil Partnerships should carry the same weight, but occupational pension provider may require evidence of cohabiting and joint account regarding their payout.
    2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.
    Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

Comment

"There’s normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if either:
      • the value of your estate is below the £325,000 threshold
      • you leave everything above the £325,000 threshold to your spouse, civil partner, a charity or a community amateur sports club"
      https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax

Comment

Hi Ian,

Lots of benefits as already described above. The biggest one being that all of your assets will transfer to your spouse with no inheritance tax implication. There are also benefits with regards to pensions as these will transfer as well.

So yes, I would seriously consider tying the knot and also making sure you have a will in place and have your spouse named as your beneficiary on all assets.

James
        Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Ian C It's a lot more straightforward for a partner of legal standing, which is what you want, so put a ring on her (even if it's a Heineken pull tab 😁​)
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Also bereavement support allowance. Every little helps and I believe you have to be married or in a civil partnership.

I had to produce my marriage certificate to claim pension and BSA.

So for unromantic financial reasons, best to be married.

xx

Carer for husband diagnosed with ALS April 2021. Hand onset. PEG fed, completely immobile, communicated with eye gaze

Sense of humour intact throughout.

Sadly passed away peacefully 2/9/22

Comment

Yes, there are benefits. I received the widows bereavement grant and my husband’s private pensions, I would also suggest having a joint bank account if you don’t already have one. Make a will too.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!

That's a very resounding Yes so I best crack on with getting a ring (Heineken might be a bit much, Fosters should do it)

Comment

Hi Ian. I was diagnosed in June and married my better half after living together 25yrs in September. The registrar fast tracked the wedding we were married 7 weeks after applying. Total cost all told £96. We kept our own names. Doing this has reduced a lot of the issues that will arise as my condition advances.

Comment

Working...
                  X