The best airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Barry
    So glad you had a good break, must make you feel so much better.
    Does anyone have any tips for using disabled toilets from a wheelchairs? Since having another fall in August I can't stand or walk and using disabled toilet is a nightmare. I have a minilift at home but can't take this out so Restricted to time away from home.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Jude

Comment

Hi Jude,

Yes, access to toilets can make or break our hopes of getting out

Two ideas are:

Using a bottle in the bathroom - you may need help for this? Or use a condom sheath that day. (but this obviously only works for peeing)
      Plan your trip around toilets with a hoist - you'd need help with the hoist.

This is a guide to disabled loos - put in a town and check individual results for hoist and other facilities:

http://changingplaces.uktoiletmap.org/

Hopefully others will add more options too.

Best of luck.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thank you so much Ellie

Jude x

Comment

On the subject of best airline if anyone saw the watchdog program yesterday they would note that Jet2 were no. 1 in the rankings.

Barry
          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

jet2 were great when we used them last Oct, and March this year from Leeds Bradford, very organised and helpful

Comment

Further information about the Airline rankings, as featured in the BBC Watchdog episode Barry mentioned:-

http://https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3QGrkbbRt8mfXGTVrvflwjv/best-or-worst-airlines
              Last edited by Kayleigh; 18 October 2019, 23:08.

Comment

I am still concerned that we haven’t heard from Kayleigh and I was reminded because she was the last post before this one and I want to continue my thread about assisted travel with airlines. Some of you will be thinking about travel this year so I relate my story of a recent flight with EasyJet.

We were originally due to fly to our favourite winter sun destination in Egypt on the Red Sea with Thomas Cook so we had to change the carrier and departure airport. As usual I did my assistance request online as they can’t understand me by telephone. It was a week before I got a reply to ask which traveler required assistance. They obviously hadn’t read my email properly. I replied again confirming it was me and heard no more so I assumed it was arranged. On arrival at Stansted airport check in they had no record of my request however a very capable lady sorted it and we found ourselves seated with 2 other disabled people and their partner. Assistance in Egypt was easy and we were whisked through the queues but of course you are expected to tip in poorer countries.

One day after our arrival I received an email from easyJet apologising for the delay and confirming our seat allocation. I replied with a sarcastic tone and said I hope the return journey is trouble free. I’m enjoying the wall to wall sunshine and the 28C temperature is easing the spasticity.

I hope everyone is coping and if there is any news about Kayleigh I would appreciate an email as the WiFi is good.

Love,
                Barry
                I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Working...
                X