Has my house got to be adapted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has my house got to be adapted

Hi I'm newly diagnosed but my limbs are failing arms ar moment started wth speech..we've only been in our house 2 years have big mortgage new one ans we love it here and dont want to move it is a 3 bed semi detached we have good neighbours and youngest lives nearby...from what I've read most people when a lot of their limbs r fail seem to have to have extensions on house and have to make big alterations we have a kitchen and one small lounge. We wont have the money or space to alter our property I may be thinking far ahead but it helps my mental health living her as before we had awful neighbour and were renting a house in a not very nice area..

Hi Elvisfan,

It sounds like you are really enjoying your home so I am really sorry you are having to consider adaptions. It's really hard to make alterations we dont really want so well done for thinking ahead.

Your OT should be able to look at your home and make recommendations and your council may be able to fund this or part of it. I spoke to a benefits advisor from the MNDA when I was first diagnosed and they are really helpful and knowledgeable.

Take care and enjoy your house because it might stay suitable for some time.
    Love Debbie x

Comment

hi Elvisfan, my house is a 3 bed semi too. For my late Husband we had another stair rail, a wet room with a closimat toilet. We were just in process of planning a stair lift when he passed away. There's lots of help available. Although I am working full time the bathoom was funded apart from the extras we wanted like additional tiling, heating towel rail, cladded ceiling.

Comment

Hello Elvisfan I'm in a similar situation we've been in our house for nearly 15 years , I'm slow progression so I do have a bit of time, but our house is not suitable and we don't want to go through the hassle of building extension, so we have made the decision to start looking for a bungalow . You mention your mortgage, check your mortgage insurance , most offer to pay it off if life expectancy is 12 months , important to note there is no comeback on your Dr because of our illness cannot be predicted you could carry on for a few years after, you just need a sympathetic consultant, mine has agreed to do something when as he put it, don't try so hard on my next respiratory test, just need the hospitals to open again . We don't get much from this illness so grab what you can
        S.

Comment

Hi Debbie

Please empty your inbox.

Doug

Comment

Oops sorry Doug, Thank you for pointing this out. I've emptied it now and got your message.
            Love Debbie x

Comment

Working...
            X