Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling in wheelchair 🦼

I finally have our WAV
    I had the most amazing couple of hours out and about but if anyone knows Bournemouth, it’s full of roundabouts and one down I noticed my feet on my foot plates slip off and I end up sliding down in my chair, does anyone any tips to stop that from happening or is it hubby’s bad driving lol

Woohoo! Not so woohoo though about slipping down in the chair!!

I'd first make sure your footrests are set to the correct length and the footplates are set to the correct angle - feet shouldn't be able to hop off the footplates easily, which leads me to suspect they aren't set correctly??

But you can get velcro toe loops that strap onto any footplate or a velcro calf strap (which is what my OT gave me) to keep feet in situ.

Wishing you many happy outings

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Did you have the seat belt on?

Comment

Soo glad you've got your WAV and you've been out and about. That's great !

My feet are always falling off the footrests both in our WAV and when I go down or up a drop down.It happens in my shower chair too, especially if my feet are soapy! I have had various footrests, straps and padding but the best thing is a soft scarf tied around my calves. I find the straps dig in.

Because I transfer sideways on to my chair I had the footrest changed to a central one. I think the side ones hold your feet more securely but it meant they had to removed everytime I got on or off my chair. I also recline my chair very slightly after the seatbelt is on and this seems to hold my feet.

Hope you have some good outings and enjoy the sunshine,
        Love Debbie x

Comment

Most likely my husband’s bad driving)

Comment

Originally posted by bogdanabosaia View Post
            Most likely my husband’s bad driving)
            and mine too ��

Comment

Working...
            X