Toilet height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet height

I sometimes can't off the toilet even with a handle does anyone have a solution?

Have you tried using a raised toilet seat John, the extra height might make getting up less of an effort. They go on top of the loo and are 10-15cm high - your OT can supply one or they are widely available.

There are gizmos available which raise you off the loo but they are very expensive.

Sorry that I don't have an easy solution for you...

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

My mother found a raised seat made a huge difference to her.

https://www.millercare.co.uk/raised-toilet-seats/
      Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

Sounds just the thing I need thanks

Comment

Hi
          I am now having problems getting off the loo even with the raised seat. My OT is arranging for me to have the seat that will help me rise off the seat as my hubby has to help me x

Comment

Hi JD,

We have a raised toilet 500mm - which is ok for a bloke 6 foot but not for me at 5ft 2" - we had one put in last year, BUT we have just had a new wetroom done also with a 500mm lav, my husband can no longer get off it - even with a handrail at the side for him,

Think about it, because it makes you higher it doesn't mean you can get off - if it were some kind or riser like a riser recliner chair it would be ideal, but no because they are flat it doesnt work for him,

Also the higher the raised seat is the hole becomes smaller for some reason - tried that didn't work either, He was offered a purpose battery operated chair/seat - take a look at Easi-seat - but again they just lift you vertically and do not tilt to get off - we had a demo at the house but after some humming and arring he decided not to go with it,

so for him to get round this he's had a shower/toilet seat made especially for him..............he manages to get on that from his high profile bed, I push him over the 500mm lav, then I push him back to bed where he uses a banana board to get off the chair and back on the bed........hes happy enough with it at the moment, once arm strength goes this becomes a different ball game I fear,

Meanwhile my legs will continue to swing !

Sue

Comment

I'm 6ft 1"

Comment

Originally posted by Suefromwakey View Post
                Meanwhile my legs will continue to swing !
                You'll have to get yourself one of those little kids' bathroom steps 😁

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Sue, that sounds very similar to me. My arms are now weakening so in the last couple of days my wife has started to hoist me on to the shower chair. I’ve had a ceiling hoist for a few months in readiness.

Andy x
                  Sporadic MND/ALS - Limb onset - Diagnosed May 2016
                  night time NIPPY, cough assist, PEG (not currently used)

Today is the tomorrow I feared yesterday

Comment

Hi jd58 Have been through options myself for the same issues you mention. There are various risers out there that are designed to go over wash dry toilets and either raise directly or raise and tilt. Some need to be bolted to the floor, which is a problem if you have underfloor heating. As Ellie says they're not cheap BUT if you're lucky they can be provided free via your OT and are not means tested either. My OT had to go through a funding panel and was successful. They had one in recently at the Red Cross - so I'm awaiting delivery now.
                    https://liftseat.co.uk/home-lift-seat-powered-toilet-lift/
                    Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

Ok I don't have mnd but I've put a porta potty in the old bathroom and it's even lower than a normal loo. It doesn't matter how high you build it up it is still difficult to get off. Hand rails are fine but you still have to pull. If your arms are weak it doesn't help. What I did find was if I had something, like a strong box to the side of the loo and using the edge of the bath, it's easier to move yourself using elbows. It was just a thought it might work for some. 🙄

Comment

First toilet raised much better but handle needs raising

Comment

About raising the toilet seat: I’ve had different height seat raisers, but the best is the type that fit over the loo with arms that can be lifted up out of the way. I tried to post a link but haven’t been able to

Lynne
                          Last edited by Lynne K; 6 January 2021, 15:44.
                          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                          I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Working...
                          X