Bio Bidet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bio Bidet

Hi..Just to say I have a Bio Bidet which at present is really useful to keep me clean after using the loo.I can use my arms at the moment but they are getting a lot weaker.There is a remote control supplied with it so I guess when the time comes my husband or a carer could operate it for me.Not something I will look forward to but probably inevitable.Thought I would just share this.Best wishes.Mary

Thanks Mary. Have to say I'm hoping we will have one for Stephen.

Comment

Hi Denise, hope you get one sorted.MND association funded mine.Then NHS shower chair wouldn’t fit over it..bio bidet compatible shower chair required so OT trying to sort funding for that now as the NHS shower chairs are too low.Best wishes Mary

Comment

Hi Mary, I am getting to be like you are, and am hoping to have a special toilet or bio bidet in my to-be-converted bathroom soonish. Glad you are finding it helpful. After many months of stress and uncertainty I have moved to a (cold!) bungalow leaving my much loved and cosy house. Before moving, someone from the council adaptation team came with me to the bungalow, and thought the bathroom was okay for conversion, and a ramp outside. Now I have moved in, this person has gone on some sort of leave, and I have new person from adaptation team who says my bathroom is too small, and I would have to knock through to the next room! Also, my driveway is apparently too steep, and they would need to take away the pond in the front . (I just went to bed for the rest of the day, and hid from the world under the covers!)
        Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Oh Heather
          that's all so unfair. You deserve a big hug.
          Denise xxx

Comment

Life just keeps getting better don't it? Stay Strong 😁x

Comment

Hi Heather,

That is absolutely rubbish. Is it worth another opinion ? I don't blame you for needing a duvet day. X

Comment

Heather R that’s a nightmare but I think Deb is right about a second opinion. When we had to have a ramp built I was told that due to the regulations governing the gradient the ramp would need to start way out across the front garden however when the builder came to have a look he said by just raising two slabs slightly we could achieve the same result. He was right and it worked perfectly and we kept the garden. Also when we converted the bathroom into a wet room the first guy said it would have to be configured in such a way that effectively I would be showering Ann in something like a corridor. The second guy configured it so we had enough room to turn the shower chair within the showering area. Again this worked perfectly.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi Heather - fully agree about getting more advice and also making sure you're convinced by what they're telling you. If you're using ramps for motorized wheelchairs only (which I am) they can be steeper than those for a manually propelled chair - max safe slopes are given on the technical data sheets for your chair). We ended up designing our own and they work really well, and avoided the problems raised by our initial advisors. Similarly you could check the space requirements of your personal wheelchair and see if you reckon it will fit in your planned wet room space (you can mark the area out in another room if that helps). Our OT was really helpful in sanity checking what we were doing.
                  Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

How big is the bathroom Heather? You'd be surprised what you can achieve in a small space if it's an open plan wetroom x
                    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

The bathroom is about 240 x 170cms. The wheelchair services are coming out to doublecheck the gradient of the drive, so I await what they say. Thanks everyone x
                      Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Just measured mine and it’s 280 x 190 and there is loads of space. I have the usual toilet, hand basin, heated towel rail, radiator and another towel rail. There was adequate space to get the commode in and over the toilet and under the basin. As I said before there was enough room to manoeuvre the shower chair. I even have a screen going half way across to prevent the whole room getting wet. Sounds to me like you have more than enough room.

Good luck

Comment

That isn't huge, Heather but I wouldn't rule out a wetroom.

The council (or other official) is going to say it's too small as it falls short of building regs, so it could come down to who is funding the works.

We converted a shower room in our previous house to a wetroom (220 x 220) and it was more than adequate, even to get dressed in with the help of 2 carers, so I would definitely get opinions from other bathroom people. Where you might run into problems is if there is sufficient space to slope the floor so the water can drain. You can decide if it's important to have the space to get dressed in the wetroom or if you'd be happy to do that in your bedroom.

Lots to think about and def get more opinions before agreeing to knock down walls!

Love Ellie.
                          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Heather, like other people I had one company trying to tell me my en-suite bathroom was big enough to give turning room etc.I could see it really wasn’t...he just was happy to do the job and leave me with a bathroom not fit for purpose.Next company told me my large family bathroom wasn’t accessible as a steep step down to it so not level access.However a friend who does plumbing and other things came and really listened to what I needed possibly for longterm(in case I need 2 carers and hoisting).
                            He said the family bathroom was no problem to make into a very roomy wetroom.He had the bathroom floor highered and moved the bathroom door and then I had level access.
                            It was quiet good designing it together with input from the hospice OT.
                            This ensured grab rails in good position in shower area and around toilet.The bio bidet fitted and so far it does the job.My motto is get second opinions and involve Hospice OT.Best wishes Mary

Comment

Working...
                            X