Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disability grant refused

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Disability grant refused

    Hi all was refused disability grant today for home adaptations. Do u have to have zero money coming in to get it ? I have 4K savings and around 2.5k monthly coming in and out for bills and living ect...
    don’t understand how I could actually pay for a lift or wet room or stairlift ect without the grant. If I quit my job then I won’t be able to afford mortgage and bills.
    suppose I’ll just have to sleep in the down stairs chair and have baby wipe baths.

    #2
    Originally posted by House44 View Post
    Hi all was refused disability grant today for home adaptations. Do u have to have zero money coming in to get it ? I have 4K savings and around 2.5k monthly coming in and out for bills and living ect...
    don’t understand how I could actually pay for a lift or wet room or stairlift ect without the grant. If I quit my job then I won’t be able to afford mortgage and bills.
    suppose I’ll just have to sleep in the down stairs chair and have baby wipe baths.
    That sounds really tough. You don’t need that extra stress. Have you tried contacting MNDA for advice. They are really good at helping with these sort of things. They might be able to advise about an appeal.

    Wishing you good luck

    Comment


      #3
      Yes and let us know how you get on.
      Denise xx

      Comment


        #4
        That does sound tough, I was given the grant for a wet cell, I was told that if the cost came under £10,000, I would get it. The wet cell cost just over £9000.
        Sheffield City Council paid for it. I was informed that it is usually means tested, but I dont think mine was.
        Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
        Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
        Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

        Comment


          #5
          That's so disappointing for you Wayne.

          I'll add my voice to following it up/appealing.

          Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

          Comment


            #6
            Thank you all for your comments I just don’t see how it’s possible to pay for it unless I save every penny for 2-5years. I’ve emailed Mnda plus a few others so hopefully it gets turned round or I win a 30 grand football bet the weekend 😂😘

            Comment


              #7
              Hi Wayne, the DFG isn’t fair and each council have their own rules , did they give an explanation of why it was declined ?
              if you are working and own a house the cards are stacked against us,
              Rented accommodation and receiving certain benefits (PiP doesn’t count) gives passport access to full grant with no contribution
              As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

              Comment


                #8
                Hi Shaun not as yet, I’ve asked for the reasons why I was rejected because I’ll quit my job if it will make the grant be acceptable because my house is not sutable whatsoever. I climb the stairs every day wondering if today’s the day I fall. I’m hoping they respond soon with the facts and figures

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  That's so disappointing for you Wayne.

                  I'll add my voice to following it up/appealing.

                  Love Ellie.
                  Thanks Ellie it’s amazing how frustrating life is already without the council adding to the worries. Xx

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Beemer View Post
                    That does sound tough, I was given the grant for a wet cell, I was told that if the cost came under £10,000, I would get it. The wet cell cost just over £9000.
                    Sheffield City Council paid for it. I was informed that it is usually means tested, but I dont think mine was.
                    Beemer what is a wet cell?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I’m just going through this process, the OT who did the original assessment pushed for this as a fast track, in which case my local council will cover the cost. It has been very confusing though as I was originally told the grant was £5000, may or may not have been means tested, then if it went over the £5000 we would be charged the full cost. Finally told the cost will be covered because of my disability and ongoing deterioration. I await a visit from the local authorities OT on Monday.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I live in Hertfordshire. Prior to getting my electric wheelchair, which was partially funded by the NHS and topped up by the MNDA and My Name5 Doddie, I needed to change our patio at the rear of the house so it had a ramp around the side of our house. We have too many steps at the front. East Herts Council said they would pay up to £1000 but if it cost a penny over that amount they would pay nothing! It cost £5,500. And they paid nothing.

                        Richard
                        Richard

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by slp View Post

                          Beemer what is a wet cell?
                          In my case, existing bath, sink and wc out, new flat waterproof floor in, with Gerberit WC, sink with user friendly tap and new shower unit.
                          Diagnosed 2nd Jan 2020
                          Both arms/shoulders affected, left worse than right.
                          Progressive Muscular Atrophy suspected

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Beemer Stupid question... is it a wet cell different to a wet room because of the "waterproof floor"? (My shower tray is set under the tiles, which have a very slight slope to ensure the water flows into the drain)
                            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              You have just joined the club my dear. 😁
                              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X