Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London commuter towns: recommendations?

Dear forumites,

apologies for the long radio silence; it's been a bit full-on recently. My legs are getting very wobbly indeed and I'm about to bite the bullet, get a wheelchair, and move to a bungalow or something similar. Steep Victorian stairs and MND really don't mix ...

Suitable properties seem to be rarer than hen's teeth, so I'm casting the net wide, but will have to commute into London once or twice a week for work (as long as the old brain still works ok). So I'm looking for recommendations location-wise - somewhere with a wheelchair-accessible station within an hour of London, and probably not too hilly generally. Any suggestions (or warnings) greatly appreciated!

Cheerio,
    Peanut

Hi peanut.

you could look at out of kings cross where you have welwyn garden city, knebworth, Stevenage, Stevenage is first stop out of London. Hitchin, letchworth, Royston up and onto Cambridge.

long time since I lived in the area but Stevenage is a fairly modern station.

have to say those trains used to be very busy.

Comment

Hi Peanut,

I used to commute to London Kings Cross from Peterborough 58minutes on the east coast line and very reliable service and some trains stop at Stevenage but property is more expensive. When I lived in Hampshire I would commute to London but the service was slow and unreliable. I believe the same is true from the west. Happy house hunting as it is a big decision many of us have to make.
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hello peanut ,
        barry makes a good point, check the train services to where you need to get to, might help you to choose an area to look at.
        I used to commute from Essex (Leigh on sea) to fenchurch st, on c2c quite reliable, often and cheap
        also commuted on GWR to Paddington , so that’s slough, reading, expensive fare though and standing only after reading,
        I currently drive to Wimbledon from Wiltshire, as no direct train route , all being well two days a week when we go back to normal
        As you have probably worked out the further away from London the cheaper the property, but train routes can be a bit more difficult
        shaun
        As long as there’s golf and beer I’m happy

Comment

Thank you all! Yes, we've been thinking about the London-Cambridge corridor, or London-Tunbridge Wells (Sevenoaks, Orpington). The Venn diagram doesn't have much in the intersection of spacious, commutable and affordable ...

Comment

Stevenage has a lot of ex council houses. Only 30 mins from London. Its not easy my son spent forever looking.

Comment

Surbiton, Kingston upon Thames, Richmond and surroundinareas. .πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜x
              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Lots of parks in the Kingston area - nice! Will check out prices ...

A bungalow just went up for sale in my neck of the woods - very rare around here in terrace territory and on for one measly million. Ah ha ha ha.

Comment

I grew up in Bushy Park, The River Thames and the King's old gaff! πŸ€”πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ‘ xxxxx
                  Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Working...
                  X