Wet room and hoists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet room and hoists

Hi! Please can I have some advice. We are having a house extension and need to make adaptations after my diagnosis. I’m getting a through floor lift installed and wondered if people would suggest making my new en-suite upstairs an accessible wet room or convert the downstairs toilet into a bathroom? My concern with the upstairs en-suite is part of it will have a sloped roof and not sure if that would impact hoists I will need in the future. Thank you

Hi Floflo, its really hard to plan ahead for home adaptations especially when your diagnosis is relatively new and you're overwhelmed. Well done for planning ahead.! 👏 it isn't easy.

When we had our home adapted our OT was really involved with the builders and the planning. She advised about where I'd need rails and electricity in our wet room. Although we had to self fund our local council were able to recommend companies who has expertise in wetrooms and we were able to pay the same rate as the council.( or we would have done if I hadn't kept adding cosmetic extras! )

I'm not sure about a sloping roof and a ceiling track hoist but again our OT arranged for someone to look at our ceilings.

Good luck with everything.. I really hope you have some advice from the experts.
    Love Debbie x

Comment

Thanks Debbie,

our builders have been helpful although they are not experts in this area. Unfortunately my OT hasn’t been much help and I don’t know who best to ask for help and info. Maybe I’ll call her again.

thanks Flo

Comment

Hi Flo ,it sounds like if you are having a through floor lift then you would need the wet room to be upstairs.We went through similar concerns as we weren’t sure how we would make level access from Wet room
        to our bedroom.A friend who is in house Reno trade raised the bathroom floor and moved the wet room door.This enabled level access from bedroom to wet room.
        We only looked ahead as far as considering a manual hoist might be needed.We ensured the sink was low and shower had grab rails where I might need them.We put in bio bidet toilet but in hindsight think a clos o mat toilet might have been better.Grab rails were fitted either side of the toilet and enough space either side of toilet for a manual hoist to be used.
        I do think there are many different hoists on the market so maybe go back to OT and ask again about ceiling track hoists in your situation .
        I just feel it’s so hard to plan ahead for every eventuality as we know the MND journey is so unpredictable .
        However,it is costly to do adaptations so you want to get it right if possible.
        Good luck with your adaptions .
        Best wishes
        Mary

Comment

Thanks Mary. That’s really helpful.

Comment

Just a thought but with pads and catheters toilets become obsolete? 😉😁😚😍xx
            Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Hi Flo,
              We have gone through all this malarkey in the last few months too. I would say definitely a closomat - it is all singing and dancing and the company are very helpful. A ceiling hoist is fantastic! I think if you need the loo in the night then you need access upstairs more easily. To go down to the loo in the night would be a pain (my bed is downstairs so wet room is down there too). Our ceiling hoist company, ‘Higher Elevation’ was brilliant and an initial visit from them told us whether or not it would work. They are London based but they could recommend a company in your area if you called them. It’s good that you are flagging all these issues at the start of the build because we didn’t and ended up making changes. Good luck with it all and don’t hesitate to ask again - I’m becoming a real hoist bore! X

Comment

Thanks Sarahw. That’s really useful. I was thinking of a closomat so that’s great to know they are W good company. I’ll do more research into hoists. Thanks x

Comment

Working...
                X