Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denise
    replied
    what i dont get is park in the disability parking and then where do i put the wheelchair? ideally along side the chair but once i get him in how do i get up the kerb? why isnt there a dropped kerb next to my appropriate parking space? so i get the chair onto the pavement and then put him in. coming back i had the help of van man to get him off the pavement/kerb on to the road but low and behold there's another kerb on the otherside. on approaching the kerb he said its ok im getting out. he pretty much ran back to the car with me running behind with the chair. people sat outside a cafe opposite must have wondered what was going on. i should have shouted 'behold a miracle he can walk'. bet they couldnt figure out how on earth we managed to get a blue badge.

this is really a learning curve. i just figure out ive solved one problem and i end up with more. i dont think there's a problem with the chair i think the problem is the environment and i am only 5'2". councils are seen to be doing stuff they just aint doing enough.

tomorrow fire officer and stephens new chair. let hope this one makes it up the stairs. certainly never a dull moment.

Leave a comment:

• Zante
    replied
    Am thinking of the Barbican... was there last week.... Denise u couldn't have picked a more difficult surface for your test trip out bless u! Central Park has some decent paving and quite a lot of places to get hot drinks and food for this time of year!! Must be totally freezing sat in a wheelchair this week. Beautiful sunny day but bitterly cold. X

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Cobblestones: Arch enemy of the wheelchair. Detested by both the user and the pusher alike. 😩😩

Leave a comment:

• Mary C
    replied
    Oh Denise..I know the Barbican and what a nightmare for you both!Unless you have been a wheelchair passenger people have no idea!In my manual wheelchair we spend time looking for dropped kerbs( some still have a step).It can be bumpy and then you have to look ahead to avoid raised manholes, do poo etc.
    Often dropped kerbs arent opposite another dropped kerbs so I have to go diagonally across a road.

However it’s hard work for my husband who pushes it too.
    I do have a powered chair too so at least I have the option too.My pet hate is people who park on the pavement so I have to pull into the road .
    Overall I am glad to get out or be taken out.Cold days now so need to wrap my skinny little legs up warm before setting off.
    Hope the wheelchair experience improves for you both Denise.
    Best wish
    Mary

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    denise not sure if that's a good or bad reviewπŸ€”
    Sounds as though with the wheels off the weight was ok for you to lift in and out of your car.
    The wheels getting stuck doesn't sound too good though....
    What's your overall view of the wheelchair & what model is it?
    πŸ€”πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‰πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Ok test drive done today Linda. Got lost going to the barbican because I reasoned would be pretty flat there but could I find the place. Made it found disabled parking spot yippee on a roll. Nearly collapsed getting chair out of the boot because I hadn't removed the wheels. Dragged him screaming out of the car and put him in a warm jacket. It was freezing, such a cold wind. Pavement was fine. Brick roads a nightmare. Wheels kept getting stuck and any mounds and I struggled. Finally found a pastie shop and the guy found a place for the chair inside. Met a guy who told me his life story 🀭 then set off again. Gosh that was a bit of a struggle the wheels got stuck middle of a side road then a raise in the road to help get onto the pavement and I couldnt go forward anymore or backwards. This big guy, huge like giant haystack, came up and just took over. Got very near to my car and couldn't get off the pavement. I tried to gently manoeuvre it down but nearly tipped it over. This guy in a van helped me, thank goodness. Put Stephen in the car, took wheelchair apart and really need to cut my nails I couldn't push the wheel release button. One wheel came off but the other put up a fight. It fitted lovely in my boot. Got in the car and he said I need a pee. πŸ™„ shame Google maps dont do wheelchair friendly routes.

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    denise haven't used it yet my dear.....but I'm sure it will be great. πŸ˜‡

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Come on Linda. Want to see wheelies and hand break turns. Might actually get Stephen in one if he can do that.
    πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€—

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by LindaB View Post
    Size wise I probably could have got narrower seat width....
    That's just future proofing for splodgy muscles πŸ˜‰

Seriously though, if you think it is too wide, now is the time to exchange it.

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    No not really...just the usual add the foot plates & good to go. Size wise I probably could have got narrower seat width....just about goes through my doors.
    Anyway it's here and waiting for a road test....
    πŸ˜‰

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Is there much assembly (supervision) required? xx

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    My daughter called in and unpacked the wheelchair πŸ˜‰

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by LindaB View Post
    I will get help...it's too big a job for me.
    LindaB The orchid givers, perhaps?

I wanted to be cremated in a cardboard box but apparently not regulation strength...

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I was trying to open crumpets. Used a big knife.

I've got an inhaler that I fight with to get the top off. Wouldn't have to let my asthma get too bad before needing it. I'm tempted to leave the lid off but the whole idea is to stop things crawling in 😳

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
    This reminds me of when I heard a big man saying he could no longer open a packet of crisps. Nowadays I know exactly how that feels. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx
    Me too...thankful I have my own teeth and rip things apart πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Leave a comment:

Working...
X